Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 1, 2006, 4:15 AM   #1

Hi all,

As a newbie to digital SLR camera's and a excited owner of a brand new Olympus e-300 I am wondering what quality settings do most people use for good quality pictures? I assume you could probably go overboard and use the highest setting as the standard raw 3200*2400 which I would get 36 photos to a 512MB CF card - the setting I am currently using is SQ 1200 * 1600 1/8 which I get around 220 photos. If I am serious about editing my photos and such in PS should I be looking at higher quality resolution settings or is it overkill?

Here is one of my favourite photos since owning the e-300 of my 9 week old daughter feel free for any suggestions to improve photos in the future :-)
Attached Images

staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 4:37 AM   #2
E.T

For editing RAW is best format because it's completely unprocessed raw data from sensor. (little like that film negative)
TIFF is totally useless if camera has that setting, it's already processed and doesn't have any advantages over right compressed JPEG while file size is ~5x of JPEG, in fact it's even bigger than RAW file.
For lesser editing best quality JPEG should be good.
Also using biggest resolution is best because you can't get high resolution back and you can crop more.

And definitely buy bigger card, prices are so cheap that 2GB cards are very affordable.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 4:55 AM   #3

I agree always use the highest setting. If you don't you can guarantee that there'll be a shot that you want to crop or blow up that you can't because you used a low res setting.

Why buy a quality high res camera then criple it by shooting at anything less than it's best quality.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 6:30 AM   #4

Make it 3 votes. Whether you use RAW or JPEG, use the highest quality setting and get a larger card. I prefer RAW for 'important' pics like portraits, scenes with a wide dynamic range or scenes with a tricky white balance. But, for 80% of my shots I just shoot JPEG.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 6:59 AM   #5

Always shoot at highest quality (and I find RAW is often best). Memory has become quite affordable ... buytwo cards of 1 or 2gb each. I agree with Ken "Why buy a quality high res camera then cripple it by shooting at anything less than it's best quality." If you need low-res shots, that can be achieved easily in post processing. I am sure the day will come when you regret not shooting at the highest quality!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 7:26 AM   #6

Thanks for the information,

Seems the camera shop I bought it from was a little misleading... though have had a look on the net and can pick up a 2GB card for only a little more than I paid for the current 512MB one :sad:

Thanks again for the info, I have been reading a lot of the posts and have found a lot of awesome information which I have been dabbling and experimenting with...

staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:53 AM   #7

staffy wrote:
Quote:
Seems the camera shop I bought it from was a little misleading...
What, a retail store employing someone who doesn't know what they're talking about? Say it aint so :G

I am sure there are a number of people working in various photo stores throughout the world that know what they're talking about, but my personal experience tells me the ratio isn't very high. Plus, you are only getting one person's opinion. On forums like this one you can get a wide range of opinions.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 2:38 PM   #8

I try to use 8mp raw as much as i can

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 3:12 PM   #9

Always always always use the highest resolution. Your next choice is raw or the various levels of jpeg compression.

RAW - Great for editing, kinda like setting up the tripod... takes time but the effort pays off if your after a really good photo. Gives you more lattitude to fix screw ups in photoshop.

JPEG highest quality - Plenty good enough, provided you dont badly screw up white balance or exposure.

JPEG Second highest quality - Dont plan to enlarge these photos much. Nice when taking 400+ snapshots, tradeoffs may not bother you.

You probably never want to bother with the lowest quality jpeg setting or reduced resolution, unless you really dont care about quality. Could be acceptable if your SURE you wont print over 4x6 or are using pics for the web only. Dont cripple your camera and restrict your options, you'll hate yourself for it eventually. GOOD 2gb CF cards are under $100 and fit 130-180 raw+jpg, 280 high quality jpeg, or 500-700 medium quality jpeg (using my minolta 5D 6mp camera).

I shoot RAW + full size med. quality jpeg all the time unless I need to fit more pics, then I cringe and adjust.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 5:21 PM   #10

I always shoot highest quality JPEG (the only option above on my camera is TIFF, which seems to use an awful lot of extra spacefor no noticeable increase in quality), mainly because it seems stupid not to.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote