Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 3, 2006, 1:40 PM   #1
dap

I know I will need a bag and tripod, but I'm confused about media cards and what lens/filters I should get and what about a shutter release cable? Is there good place online to purchase accessories?
Thanks in advance
dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 6:20 PM   #2
E.T

Forget xD-cards, size limited proprietary rubbish, big CF cards are very inexpensive.
I would suggest using best JPEG setting which means 5MB for one shot, then think how many shots you might take at once (for example in trip) and multiply 5MB with that.

I think ordinary mechanical release used in old SLRs works with it.
But if targets aren't such where you need precise timing or don't need/want to use bulb-mode you could use exposure compensation to adjust exposure and use 2 second timer to avoid shake caused by pressing shutter.

As for tripod something like Cullmann 3430 or similar could be good, its center column works also as monopod which is lighter and easier to carry when you don't need "full" tripod. (Cullmann 2800 is similar, little smaller and with fixed panhead)

UV filter could be good if you don't want to be more carefull when cleaning dust from lens. (dust is the most common thing in this world so you'll get it to camera's lens sooner or later)
After filter gets too dirty (or possible scratches from cleaning) it's cheap to replace, unlike camera's own lens.
I don't think you would need thinnest filter for avoiding vignetting, filter thread seems to have that much bigger diameter than front lens element but because of lens long zoom with wide angle I would prefer using good multicoated filter for avoiding bigger reflections when bright light hits to lens.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:51 AM   #3
dap

Thanks for the tips. I'm ready to get started, I plan on a purchase this weekend.
dap is offline   Reply With Quote