Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 23, 2003, 1:59 AM   #11

the softness on the a70 is a mixed bag. For the most part, everyone who has the a70 that i've seen loves it, and the only major example of softness ive heard of on this forum about a working a70 was caused by the shutter speed being just slow enough that it pick up the hands shaking, which shouldn't really be a problem and is easily fixed. From what i've heard, owners have taken hundreds of shots with only a handful that were soft. Check out some sample pics and judge for yourself, im sure peops in the canon forum would gladly share some of their photos.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 2:51 AM   #12

thanks for that ardvark - the softness issue has been at the back of my mind too , though I have still leant strongly towarde the A70 - only thing I would miss on it is longer zoom, but I believe the Longer zoomed Olympus's are not too fast in the shutter lag department ?

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 6:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefank
thanks for that ardvark - the softness issue has been at the back of my mind too , though I have still leant strongly towarde the A70 - only thing I would miss on it is longer zoom, but I believe the Longer zoomed Olympus's are not too fast in the shutter lag department ?

Stef
stefank,
not to rain on your parade here, but you know we're talking about P&S cameras right?
i've been using SLR's all my life, and this last year i've spent all my time with DSLR(canon D60 and now 1DS). these cameras definately benefit from Aperture control...........but aP&S like the A70 or the Minolta s414 do as well, but not nearly as much.
it's nice that Canon gives the shooter an option to pick a few different aperture settings, but in the end, you don't see much difference between wide open and closed down with the A70. this is why Minolta didn't waste money on this aspect of the 414.
no, they spent more on the optics with the 414 than Canon did with the A70.................and..........to answer Honey's question about filter ring.............the Canon doesn't allow you to install and use filters such as UV or polarizing filters, but the Minolta does.
the Minolta will also produce a much sharper and cleaner image right out of the camera. keep in mind too, that the aperture on the A70 is "4.8" at the long end (awfully slow) while the 414 is "3.5" at the long end...........which is clearly faster.
we should also bring up the fact that the Minolta was almost impossible to keep in stock last year, and is showing the same sales performance this year, i wonder why?
don't think i didn't try just about everything out there when selecting a P&S companion to my DSLR's either, it's just that as "anal" as i am, the Minolta pulled away from any of the P&S's in it's price range for ease of use and picture quality.
Aperture settings? who needs the hassle? it takes a lot of the fun out of picture taking, and with these little cameras, you'll rarely see where f/3 made much difference over f/6.7.
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 6:53 AM   #14

and, not to confuse Honey any further, this latest review should settle this growing arguement.............the A70 isn't even compared to the 414..........

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ew/index.shtml
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 8:29 AM   #15
NHL

Here's some number:

Canon A70
3.2 Mpixels
35-105mm(3x) f/2.8-4.8
$449

Minolta S414
4.1 Mpixels
35-140mm(4x) f/3-3-6
$399

Of course retail is less. Honey why don't you try to take a picture with the aperture wide open, and then another stop down all the way. If you see little or no DOF difference then... will the intermediate settings matter? :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 1:46 PM   #16

Ya know you guys are really starting to get on my nerves :x

Just kidding. Seriously I am. I appreciate all of this information. I really do.

I was playing w/ the g3 last nite and I have to be honest, I don't know if I am ready for all of that, and if I do want it, I think I would want a DSLR. I am going to do what you suggested NHL.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 2:10 PM   #17
NHL

If you do... Try it at the long end (ie @ the 140mm to maximize the DOF effect), otherwise @ the wide angle there'll be not much to see! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 5:23 PM   #18

Default heck this link too Honey

Hi Honey

From the same site that hawkeye points you to above you can check this link for the A70 as a comparison.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

He seems to quite like this model too... sorry to throw more variables and choices back into the fray

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 5:46 PM   #19

Actually, regardless what you may have read, the a70 is 350 or less (despite what certain publications may say). Also, the a70 can take filters with the add-on lense adapter.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 6:38 PM   #20

and why are filters good?