Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:04 PM   #1

Default I amso tired of researching cameras, can you all just pick

one for me.

My eyes are going to bleed if I read one more opinion. I got so confused by the terms and features that I went out and bought a a G3 to see if I would want to use one w/ all of those features. I feel that I could w/ a little practice. I really liked the G3, didn't upload any pics though, but I'd like it to be a little bit more compact. Here is what I think I want.
I also like the fact that the viewfinder moves. I have two weeks to play around until I make my final decision. I've been researching since, I don't know, JUNE .

short lag time
manual
excellent pictures
compact
macro abilities

Short lag time and high qulity pics are most important.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:00 PM   #2

try the canon s45, its basically a compact version of the g3
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:48 PM   #3

thank you i'll look at it tonite.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:19 PM   #4

better yet..........look at this one...............the shops couldn't get enough of them last year.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s414.html
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:09 AM   #5
NHL

I'll second Hawkeye12 on the s414. It's not just a price leader for a 4Mp camera, but also use inexpensive CF cards and rechargeable NiMh AA (try to buy that 2nd proprietary battery!)
--> Both a value to buy and cheap/convenient to operate as far as power & films are concerned! 8) 8) 8)

BTW this camera also sports a regular front filter ring (a rarity), wink, wink, don't forget that polarizer... or graduated density filters :P

... You'll have to give up the rear-folding LCD's though, of course the G3 cost twice as much so you'll give up some features as well such as remote control, raw capture etc... but it sounds from other posts that you don't need them either... ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 6:58 AM   #6

I think , unless I'm very much mistaken, that I read somewhere that the aperture priority mode only allows full or minimum apertures to be set as opposed to the full range on this cam , so you will need to consider IF this is an issue for you - it would be to me but may not be for you.

I am leaning strongly towards the canon A70 or Maybe the A60 - you might want to consider these too - sorry to add more choices - you can get a review of the A70 on here.

Hope that helps and doesn't add to your headache - and I know what you mean as I am going through the same thing and have app 4-6 models in mind though as I say am leaning heavily towards the Canons though the Olympus 720 does appeal due to it's large zoom range, though I believe the shutter lag is quite bad on this one :-(

Stefan

:roll:
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:01 PM   #7

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, slow down. :shock: ---not shocked but that is what my eyes are doing

Quote:
aperture priority mode only allows full or minimum apertures to be set as opposed to the full range on this cam

--so in the end what does this mean.
---By the way what are the models that you have in mind.
----I'm almost sold on this camera, especially b/cc of the batteries.
BTW this camera also sports a regular front filter ring (a rarity), wink, wink, don't forget that polarizer... or graduated density filters

-----I have NO idea what this is, could you explain for me?

Quote:
You'll have to give up the rear-folding LCD's though, of course the G3 cost twice as much so you'll give up some features as well such as remote control, raw capture etc... but it sounds from other posts that you don't need them either...

-----still trying to figure half of them out. So I don't know if I need them.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:36 PM   #8

>>aperture priority mode only allows full or minimum apertures to be set as opposed to the full range on this cam >>

}}so in the end what does this mean. }}

OK for a start I have to say here that I am also anewbie to digital cameras (not purchased one yet either) but have used 35mm SLR's for over 15 years and suspect there will be some stuff in common - I'm sure others on here can correct any "duff" info I may give.

Well what it menas is that unlike some other models (ie the Canon A70 or A60 that I am strongly leaning towards) it only gives you a choice of 2 aperture settings as opposed to 4 or more settings - conversely this will affect the number of matching shutter speeds that would result in correctly exposed images.

"OK so what" I hear you say. Well folllowing is my attempt at explaining what effects the aperture and shutter speed settingsa have on your image.

Shutter speed affects things like:

1) sharpness of image in as much as if you use a slow shutter speed there will be some blurring of the image due to camera shake (unless you sue a tripod) - this can sometimes be a desireable effect - more of which later

2) If photographing a moving subject you will need to use a faster shutter speed (obviously the faster the subject is moving the faster shutter speed you will need)

3) Slow/Fast shutter speeds can be used to create creative effects eg I have some pictures I took of a fountain in paris with two opposite extremes of shutter speed - the fast shutter speed froze the water to the point where you can almost see the individual droplets of water. With a very slow shutter speed the water blurs and looks almost like glass - quite a pleasing effect.

Aperture settings affect the depth of field:

When you focus on a subject this subject is in clear focus but there is also a distance in front and behind this main area of clear focus that is considered to be fairly sharp too (that is my poor attempt at explaining depth of field).

Id you use a large aperture (ie f2.0/f2.8) depth of field will be very narrow.

If u use a small aperture (in 35 mm this might be as small as f22 - not sure what digicam equivalent would be) you get a larger depth of field.

Again there will be times when either is preferable over the other eg a portrait would likely want a shallow (narrow) depth of field to throw the background out of focus.

It is this kind of control over ones images that would have me ALWAYS look for a camera with manual functions as opposed to a fully auto point and shoot camera - I did twice have cameras with no manual over ride - NEVER AGAIN..

}}By the way what are the models that you have in mind. }}

Leaders at the moment are the Canon A70 and Maybe the A60 (virtually the same camera with the A70 hving 3.2 megapixels compared to the A60's 2 mp and a higher resolution movie mode .

Sony DSC S70 - an older model but my brother is offering to sell it me at approx a third of it's value :-)

The Olympus 720 - though I think I read somewhere it was not too good in the shutter lag department which I also consider very important .

and am still open to other suggestions too.

}}I'm almost sold on this camera, especially b/cc of the batteries.}}

Sorry are we talking about the Minolta 414 ?

Not well up on what you're drawn to re the batteries so can't comment.

If you wish to check out any of the Cameras I have listed you should find reviews on this excellent site

Hope that helps ? :-)

Stef

PS sorry should clarify - this and my previous post comments are re the Minolta 414 that another poster suggested NOT the Canon G3 you proposed>
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:45 PM   #9

Yes it does, thank you. Aperture settings are important to me.

I meant I like the fact that the minolta will take AA batteries and is not a properity battery.

On another note, back to Sony, I'm sure that memory card is fine, but I'm somewhat clumsy and can see myself breaking that easily. However, if they have the perfect camera for me, I'd jump on one.

Picture clarity and shutter speed/lag time are my most important must haves. I also want at least 3/4 MP.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:53 PM   #10

Glad that helped. I'm fairly sure the Canon (and no I don't work for them or have a relative that does .. LOL - but I have had 2 Canon SLR's - 1 I still have and liked them and do like the looks, feel and spec of the A70/60) also takes not only AA's but will take NiMH Rechargeables. Also shutter lag is quite good I believe circa 0.6/0.7 secs if prefocussed.

One question I would love to have answered if anyone reading this thread knows is: Can one lock both focus and/or Exposure with these cameras and then recompose the image ?

The A70 is 3.2 MP, I believe from reviews that clarity is good - though SOME people have reported some softening on SOME pictures taken.

Others on the other hand have reported few if any problems and also I believe this can be tackled with software after the iamge has been loaded to your PC

Stef