Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:08 PM   #1

Default Most reliable brands?

Or are they all pretty good. I plan on sticking w/ Olympus, Cannon, Fuji, Sony (not sure b/c of the memory card), Nikon, Kodak, and HP.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:36 PM   #2

I'd say that is a good list of brands. I haven't owned many cameras (and none digital) but I don't believe I've heard a lot of consistant bashing of any of those brands to make me think they make duds.

Personally, I don't think of digital cameras with HP, but that is just a personal bias. They might make very good ones.

I agree with you about the memory card on the Sony. I wouldn't touch them because of that (it could be good, but....) I'd stick with Compact Flash, myself.

Something which others have pointed out is to get a camera which takes standard batteries (AA?) I agree about 99% of the time with that. They are cheaper, they are getting better all the time and they are easy to find. The only camera that I've heard of which takes a propritary batter which lasts a long time is the Nikon D100. But it's a Digital SLR with replaceable lenses and costs over $1,500, so it should have good batteries.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:53 PM   #3

Don't shun Sony simply because of the Memory Stick media. Yes, MS is a Sony proprietary format, but who cares since all of the major flash memory suppliers are licensed to manufacture the MS format (Lexar, Sandisk, ...) and at least here in So. Calif. the MS is available everywhere SM, SD, CF cards are available and are the same cost per mega byte.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:12 PM   #4

In my work I've seen too many broken Memory Sticks to ever consider buying one. The issue that I've seen (but is not likely to be seen by many others) is that if the formatting of the MS goes bad, there is no way to reformat it. It remains in a perpetual 'reading' mode which can't be broken out of without special MS formatting software which itself is not available (but magically available to me, strangely enough).

The thing is, this kind of problem is not likely to be seen in the wild because most MS drivers are well done, especially those built into Sony products. However, in the one in a million chance that you do run into this, you will lose not only the data on the stick but also the stick itself.

I'm not bashing Sony, they actually do a good job with their devices. I doubt you'll ever see this problem on your own camera, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:27 PM   #5

Looks like you're sticking to the name brands. I 've heard good and bad about each of the brands, but I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them as long as you do your homework. We can each make recommendations on camera's but nothing will replace your homework because we each have different needs. If I were in the market again here is a few things I'd look at though: iso sensitivities, manual controls, quality lens (sharpness/contrast), shutter and focus lag times, ability to focus in low light, and of course the number of pixels, ie 3,4, 5 MP, etc.

I've not really heard good or bad about HP, but I'm not certain I'd go with them either though simply because one of the most important parts of the camera is the lens. Where does HP get the lenes, how good are they, etc.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdparker
Looks like you're sticking to the name brands. I 've heard good and bad about each of the brands, but I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them as long as you do your homework. We can each make recommendations on camera's but nothing will replace your homework because we each have different needs. If I were in the market again here is a few things I'd look at though: iso sensitivities, manual controls, quality lens (sharpness/contrast), shutter and focus lag times, ability to focus in low light, and of course the number of pixels, ie 3,4, 5 MP, etc.

I've not really heard good or bad about HP, but I'm not certain I'd go with them either though simply because one of the most important parts of the camera is the lens. Where does HP get the lenes, how good are they, etc.

Michael
can you tell me more about how to research the best lenses. Everything you have mentioned is what is important to me.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 6:29 PM   #7

Wish I could tell you the best way to research. The way I do it though is to hit the different review sites and just read the reviews skimming through for the details that are important to me. Also when I have some models in mind, I do a google search on the models to see what other people have posted.... ie pictures, reviews, comments, etc. Good luck. Wish I could tell you more.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 8:05 PM   #8
lg

As far as reliability, you're probably OK with any of the brands you listed. I personally wouldn't include HP in the list because my observation is that the pictures taken with the HP cameras I have used don't appear to be as sharply focused and a bit noisier than the other brands you mentioned.

As far as researching the best lenses, I'd let the pictures do the talking... Steve has pictures of the same subject taken with virtually all the cameras he has reviewed. Pick out the cameras you are interested in, and then compare some of the sample shots for a single subject. The picture that is the sharpest and clearest for the same subject probably was taken with a camera having a better lens, assuming the size of the images is the same.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote