Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Newbie Help (
-   -   What do these terms mean? (

Apr 21, 2003 4:54 PM

What do these terms mean?
RGB filters--don't most cameras have this and is it neccessary to have?

What is this digic processing that Canon has and do most brands have something like it?

tIA---I hope I'm not annoying you all to much. :)

ardvark50 Apr 21, 2003 4:59 PM

ccd- charge coupled device- basically full of pixels that can only record one color used to make up the picture
rgb filter- red green blue, referring to the way the pixels are lined up since a pixel can only record one color. There are other filter types, but this is the most common.
Digic is just some chip that canon uses in order to store images faster and have a fast autofocus. I don't think other digicam makers have equivalents, but the chips they use do get the job done.

Apr 21, 2003 5:12 PM

thank you for replying. I still don't understand the CCD, do all cameras have them. Are they necessary?

eric s Apr 21, 2003 5:30 PM


No, we are not getting annoyed by your questions. People here understand that every started at the beginning some time (and those that don't feel that way just skip the question... you won't see much attitude in posts here, it's very nice.)

A CCD is the "film" of a digital camera. Is it the thing which senses the light and turns it into a digital signal which the camera can process and make into a picture.

There are (right now) basically two devices used to sample the light. A CCD or a CMOS. As far as people like you and me are concerned, they are the same. Ya, sure... technically there are differences between them. A really knowledgeable person might even be able to list them, or point out the differences in two similar pictures. But for 99% of the people, they do the same thing, the same way. They allow the camera to take the picture.

If you want to get technical, there is a good web site called:

Here is a link on how digital cameras work:

Here is a link about the differences between a CCD and CMOS:

Humm... I might have to read that last one, I've wondered about that.

And because I'm an engineer, I like to be complete and point out when I've lied to keep things simple. Techincally, there is a 3rd way to capture pictures digitally. It's only used in a few (one? two?) cameras. It's from Foveon and it's called the X3:

It's a rather cool idea which works in a very different way than CCD or CMOS. But to you and me, it does the same thing. If you consider buying a camera which uses that chip, I'd read about it first. The standard ways people compare CCD and CMOS based cameras don't all apply to X3 based ones. So some learning is in order.

Apr 21, 2003 5:43 PM

Thank you so very much. I can tell you all are friendly. THis is an awesome site.

Eric, I get it, that explanation was wonderful.

Now, what is parallax correction and diopter settings?

Can you beleive I was an amateur photographer years ago. I have to go back and relearn sooo much.

steve Apr 21, 2003 7:42 PM

You'll probably find the answers to a lot of your terminology questions if you visit our Digicam Dictionary :shock:


Apr 22, 2003 5:05 PM

Oh thank you....

eric s Apr 22, 2003 8:59 PM

Thanks for that link Steve. I could answer what "diopter settings", but you saved me from having to make a fool of myself trying to describe parallax correction. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2