Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Inserting photos in word documents

A real Newbie.. Just purchased the Olympus 4000. I have a real estate appraisal business where I prepare narative appraisal reports on many ocassions (like a book report). What I have to do (or try to do) is insert my photos of homes (4" x 6" or thereabouts ) under the description (center top or bottom of 8 1/2" x 11" page).. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any input.. Regards, Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:20 PM   #2
NHL

Just copy your photo to the clip board (point the cursor to the picture or file, right click on the mouse, then do copy), and then paste right in your word document (right click again and paste where the cursor is)!

... You can then move or size it by dragging either the center or the corner of the picture 8) 8) 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks !!! Will give it a try as time permits.. Thanks again for your input.. Regards, Jim
Old Apr 22, 2003, 1:28 PM   #4

Actually, this isn't as straight forward as NHL (with respect!) suggests. Your cam will be shooting large files. They may only look like a couple of Mbyte of puny JPEG, but Word treats its pics as uncompressed bitmaps. So if you can get them on the page (which I doubt), all you will see are place holders, and the image is well over size. Try to put a few images in a document and your doc could be pretty big. The other problem, is Word will take ages to load these BIG pics and when you attempt to resize within the doc, the image file remains the same! You get exactly the same problem when you want to put a dozen pics on a page. Your page could soon look like a few hundred Mbyte when you saved it - if your pc didn't crash!

I think I'd start with an image quality expectation of 300 dpi. Lets say you wanted 4" X 3" real estate pics on your page. You should resize copies of your original images to be about 1200 X 900 pixels in an editor. Then copy and paste these into your Word doc. as NHL suggests. That way, even if you filled a page with images or a single image, it would not be more than about 7Mbyte per page.

If you have a really big doc with lots of pics, you can tell Word to link the image files from your hard disc and all Word shows, is an empty image box. This is handy if you want to use the same doc as a template, and just change the links to point to different pic files.

PS I'm using Word 6 so other versions might be different.

Cheers - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 1:39 PM   #5

I just tried playing with inserting the pictures and you are right they are huge.. Will take your advise as time permits and play around a bit.. I have downloaded my photos to the Olympus software Camedia.. Thanks for your help.. Will let you know how I make out.. Off to shoot photos with my "film camera" now because I have to be sure I get them right.. Thanks again, Jim
Old Apr 22, 2003, 1:44 PM   #6

Why not shoot the same pics with both cams and compare the results? Run with both until you get the consistency you need. You might be surprised, some of the digi pics might be better, and you'll learn the techniques faster, not worrying about mistakes!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 2:43 PM   #7
NHL

... Oopsy! There's an obvious step missing (resize and save to any format you like first... Thanks for keeping me up on my toe) :lol: :lol: :lol: :
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ight=irfanview

BTW, In Word you can also go to Insert > Picture > From File, and that will work (it'll automatically resize for you any picture straight from the camera).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote