Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Help need on image compression in the camera itself.

I have a question on image compression in the camera.

I was looking at the Kodak LS443 through research on the net and Kodaks site and seems that the Kodak compresses the image at best quality down to 1mb (ie. Kodak state that the 16Mb internal memory can hold 12 photos on best quality.

The other camera I was looking at was the Nikon coolpix 4300 and it seems that this does not do the compression and you seem to have more control over the quality. Even only having one high quality tiff file on the 16mb internal memory.

Can this compression be turned off on the Kodak?

Would you notice the difference between the cameras if a pic was enlarged up to A4?

Do the Canon cameras do this compression?

I was attracted to the Kodak for ease of use and the docking station, but have been put off by this compression.
After looking at reviews sites such as http://www.dcresource.com where they compared photos in a shoot out between the 2 cameras I could see the difference looking on the screen.

Any info on this compression subject would be helpful!

Cheers
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:23 PM   #2

The kodak uses jpeg file type which does compress the image. There should be settings to determine how much compression is going on. (fine, medium etc.) The nikon will save as jpeg or tiff. Tiff is lossless compression and much larger file sizes. Jpeg at low compression is pretty good though and will work fine in most instances even at 8 x 10.
ncprevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I have bought a Canon A70 as I fell in love with the camera in the shop. Lovely to hold, great features and I am finding it easy to use. Come with good pocket sized manual.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote