Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 23, 2003, 2:49 AM   #1

Default software compatibility

Dear all,

Does anyone know if there is a minimum requirement for digicam's downloading software? will it still work with Pentium I? Am planning to get a digicam, but have a concern on the software compatibility and afraid it might not work with my oldie Pentium I. ops:

Rgds,
infitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2003, 3:34 AM   #2

You're likely using Win98 which means that any software for the camera will work. I don't know how much support you're going to get for anything older than Win98 SE, though. Win3.1x is probably right out.

However, the connector from the camera to the PC is probably going to be USB or Firewire. It might be worth a crawl under the desk to verify that you have either of those ports before considering buying that digicam.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:14 AM   #3

I still can run manythings on win98SE ( I think it's a minimum). P1 could be very slow if you are doing havy editing on large pic .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:23 PM   #4
lg

May I recommend purchasing an inexpensive card reader and transfering the pictures that way instead? I find this much easier to do, and, in addition to remedying software compatibility issues, you don't have to run down the batteries in your camera while transfering the pictures.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 2:33 AM   #5

Yupe, I'm running Win98SE and has a USB connector. What I'm afraid is that the software just won't work in P1.

What is a card reader? And does this card reader work with any digicam and also P1? Do I need specific software to run this card reader? Help please....

Rgds,
Old Apr 24, 2003, 2:48 AM   #6

1) What is a card reader?

A card reader is little device that you can plug the camera memory card into. Putting the memory card in makes the data available for copying (just like putting a CD-ROM disc in the drive). You can then copy the files off of the memory card and onto your hard drive.

2) Will a card reader work with any camera?

It depends on the memory card type.

There are several memory card types:

PC Card
Memory Stick
Compact Flash (I and II)
Smart Media
SD (Secure Digital)
xD

You will have no trouble finding a card reader for the first four. They are very common and frequently card readers are built to take all three types. The last two are newer and card readers may not be so easily found.

The short answer to your question is 'Yes'. You can find a card reader that supports your camera's memory card type.

3) Do I need specific software to use a card reader?

The card reader will come with a driver disk. Depending on your version of Win98, the card reader may be automatically detected or you may have to install the drivers. In either case, there's no significant software necessary to use the disk.

How do you use the drive?

Step 1: Put the card into the card reader
Step 2: Open 'My Computer'
Step 3: Open "Removable Disk Drive" (it may be called "Removable Media" depending on the driver)
Step 4: Open the folder inside of Removable Disk Drive

You should see the picture files. The next step would be to copy them off of the card and onto your hard drive.

Do you have an idea what camera you are interested in?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 6:32 AM   #7

Most cameras/software will come with a "Minimum Computer Requirments" or a "Recommended Requirements" thingy on their boxes.

But with a Pentium 1, you should be able to load most software, but you will be limited with what you can do with it due to "slowness" for things like editing photos.

You will be able to transfer your camera's images to the computer without a problem though. Viewing larger images will take a while to load (though not much and of course depending on the resolution the image is shot at)

Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 1:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
The short answer to your question is 'Yes'. You can find a card reader that supports your camera's memory card type.
CMIIW, then it's more handy to install this card reader as I can use it for downloading pictures as long as the card reader can read from the memory card. Rather than to install a unique software dedicated to only a single brand (Fuji's software for Fuji digicam, and so on). Is my understanding correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
Do you have an idea what camera you are interested in?
I have no specific preferences on the brand, but am looking for a 2-3 M Pixel digicam for $180-$225. Any recommendation on my search? Is my 'wishlist' reasonable?

Rgds,
Old Apr 25, 2003, 1:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by infitro
It's more handy to install this card reader as I can use it for downloading pictures as long as the card reader can read from the memory card. Rather than to install a unique software dedicated to only a single brand (Fuji's software for Fuji digicam, and so on). Is my understanding correct?
It depends on the camera.

Some (most?) cameras appear to Windows to be Removable Media devices when attached. This allows them to be accessed just as if they were external hard drives. No brand-specific drivers necessary.

However, some cameras may require special drivers to be used.

If you are worried about having to install multiple drivers, the card reader may be the best choice for you. That way you only install the card reader driver (possibly already included in Win98).

The downside to this is that for some media types like SmartMedia, constantly swapping the card in and out of the reader and the camera increases wear and tear on the card. For some media types like Memory Stick or Compact Flash this is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infitro
I have no specific preferences on the brand, but am looking for a 2-3 M Pixel digicam for $180-$225. Any recommendation on my search? Is my 'wishlist' reasonable?
No recommendations really, but I doubt you'll have much trouble finding some kind of camera that fits your requirements. An older Fuji or Canon might be right up your alley.