Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 23, 2003, 3:25 PM   #1

Default I've got 3 to choose from......

1. Minolta Dimage S414 (Leaning toward)
2. Nikon Coolpix 4300 (Heard Good things)
3. Canon A70 (I only mention this because it was the original I was looking at.)

These are it. What do you all think?
Let the photographic knowledge flow!!!!
jpaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2003, 6:04 PM   #2

Default Choice of 3

I too am looking at these 3 cameras..

The minolta is working out the cheapest to buy off the internet, and I also am leaning towards this camera.

I am going to the store to handle them and see the quality, size etc.

It depends on the features and how specific you are on what you need. I am a beginner and want something not too big, easy to use "point and shoot" with a few manual controls for when I learn more later, but meanwhile an automatic mode to get started.

Good luck in your choice. The people in this forum a very knowledgable a seem to be able to answer any question.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 7:01 PM   #3

Carrie,

Please post your impressions of what you see here. I am having some difficulty locating an S414 to look at where I live.

Thanks!
jpaq
:P
Old Apr 24, 2003, 8:54 AM   #4

Come on folks.
I know you get these questions all of the time, but I thought that was what this subject "Newbie Help" was all about........

Anyone?
Echo....echo....echo....

Is anyone out there?

:?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 9:21 AM   #5
NHL

Actually all 3 are excellent, and you can't go wrong.

But you're comparing apple and oranges: the s414 is a 4Mpixel camera against the other two 3Mp!!! If you put it in the right bucket it'll look even more attractive (on price...) and it's all metal :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 9:28 AM   #6

Default camera choice

would be useful if you posted your priorities - say top 3-5 criteria and how important they are (maybe in order of importance)

I am in the same boat and amongst several models I Have considered have been Olympus 720, Minolta S414 (good quality pics), and my current Strong Leader the Canon A70

You need to make the decision yourself as the best combo of features for me will not necesarily be the best for you or for NHL or for others in this forum.

Sorry if that hasn't helped

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:17 AM   #7

Default choosing

I have been to the stores (we have small useless stores in UK) and could not find the Minolta s414 to look at. Several stores had them on order.

However, out of all I looked at and held, I really liked the Canon A70 very much. I was tempted to buy it then and there!

I held the Nikon coolpix 3100 and did not like how it felt in my hand. It was quite square, the same height as the Canon but felt uncomfortable and didn't feel wide enough. There was not enough width of camera to get hold of. Being a lady I don't have large hands but do have longish fingers and the Nikon felt awkward.

I looked the Olympus Camedia C-720UZ which is being phased out. It was big, had a separate lens cap (which I might lose) and when switched off because of its 8 optical zoom the lens poked out which would make any case you have bigger.

The Canon I warmed to very much, I liked the positioning of the controls, it felt very comfortable in your hand. You could even use it one handed. The markings on the controls were very self explanatory to me. I liked the panoramic feature where you can stitch images together and take a second shot on the camera LCD screen. The screen was clear to look at. It uses 4 normal AA batteries which are cheap to get and recharge. It also uses compact flash which is cheaper for me to buy. I find that I prefer the look and style of the Canon over the Minolta.

There are cheaper 3 mp cameras out there, but the quality makes seem to demand a higher price.

I was originally looking for a 4mp camera but think that for what I want to do 3mp will be enough.

I am sure that I haven't helped anyone at all, but I did learn that half the problem is how the camera feels in your hand. If you're not happy then you won't enjoy using it.

happy camera searching

Carrie
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:30 AM   #8

I agree 100 % with you on this Carrie - I too handled this cam at Comet (urghh !!) last weekend and agree with everything you've said there - it feels great, looks and feels like quality, very logical placing and operation of controls etc

I fully expect to go for this cam myself and I know what you mean about camera stores here - went into jessops in Chester last week and when I asked the girl if one could set Aperture/shuuter speeds manualy not only did she not know but she obviously had no clue what the heck apertures and shutter speeds were !!!

Stef
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:13 PM   #9

I went to Jessops today and found the chap very helpful. I was also shown some sample prints taken by other Canon camera. They haven't done this one yet.

It is very tempting to pay the extra and just buy it from the shop. At least if it goes wrong you can take it back. They were doing ans exchange for a chap in Jessop as he had a problem with his camera that was a few months old.

I will get a card reader from ebay.

:? not sure what to do as I want a camera now!

The cheapest deliver price I found on the net was amazon with free delivery and free 64mb cf card 244.99
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:29 PM   #10

that's a good price I was looking at 268 delivered next day with no extra memory.

There is an argument to say buy it from a "brick n mortar" shop to show support for them and keep them in business for the extra service they offer.

I may try and see if I can haggle on price with them otherwise I will likely buy on line - tho as you say after sales MAY be better from a B&M retailer.

Stef