Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 23, 2003, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Losing part of picture during development

You have all been so helpful in the past that I am going to ask for your advice again. Please bear with me as I am new to all of this...

Camera: Dimage 7i
Software: Photoshop Elements

I burned my first "negatives" on to a CD and took them to Costco for developing. The quality of the pictures is great! HOWEVER, there is a difference between the negotive and the 4x6 picture. It is almost like they zoomed the negotive in before developing the picture, so some of the top and bottom is not showing up. (The sides seem to be ok.) This is ok for some pictures, but for the tight shots, I am losing important parts of the pictures I took. For instance, a pic of St. Peter's Basilica that was nicely centered in the negotive, came out missing the top of the dome-all sky above the dome was deleted from my negative.

I asked the developer about this and she told me that I can request "No crop channel," but that would leave me with an unwanted white frame around each picture. Otherwise, she said that I was to go into my software and resize the picture. She said that by dividing the height by the width, I should come out to 1.5.

Didn't know exactly what she meant as this is all so new to me, but I went into Image/Resize/Image Size and divided the Document Size Height (26.667) by the Width (35.556) and came up with .75! What does this mean?

The software program doesn't mention this resizing before developing problem at all. Is she feeding me bad info? I don't want to have to go through a huge resizing procedure if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

Therese
DigiNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2003, 6:28 PM   #2

Hi, I've not got the kit and software you have, but here's some general help.

Let's say your camera takes pics at 2560 X1920 pixels. The ratio of width to height of what you shoot is 2560/1920 or 1.3333. That means, whatever size you print, only this ratio of the width and height of the print will print everything you shot.

Now I know here in UK, I can get my prints done on a Fuji lab printer and they can put in 6X41/2 size paper so all my image is printed (check the ratio).

Now you like most are printing a slightly taller image onto slightly shorter paper. So something has to go. You have two choices. Frame your shot so nothing important appears toward the top and botton edges (do this anyway). The problem with this is some print firms chop the same off top and bottom, some take it off the top, some off the bottom. So to be sure, you must crop in your editor.

I don't use PS, but if you say resized to 2560 x 1920 you will get the right shape for 6X4 prints. With Elements you might even be able to tell it to re-size to 6X4. This way you choose - loose some top and bottom, top, or all off the bottom. Many programs have a batch re-size function. But to use this you must always consistently shoot with crop in mind.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:16 PM   #3
lg

Let's say your pics are 2MP, or 1600x1200. 1600:1200= 4:3, which is not equal to the 6:4 ratio of a 6" x 4" (4x6) print. To print perfect 4x6 prints, crop each picture to 1600 x 1067 pixels. (1600:1067 = 6:4). The bottom line is that your width:height ratio should exactly match the dimensions of the print size you want, in your case 6:4, or 3:2, or more simply put, the width should be 1.5 times the height. I believe this is what the person meant when she told you "... by dividing the height by the width, I should come out to 1.5. " She should have said "width by the height."
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:06 PM   #4

An absolute pain in the arse wihtout question.

It's completely farcical that we have this problem. A) Why the freaking hell do digicams come in that ratio when 90% of the time we need 4x6 photos!!!!!!!! And b) why the HELL don't your Walmarts, Kodak's or whatever Lab's print at the right ratio?? HOW BLOODY HAR DOIS IT TO BUY THE RIGHT PAPER.

Man this works me up.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
It's completely farcical that we have this problem. A) Why the freaking hell do digicams come in that ratio when 90% of the time we need 4x6 photos!!!!!!!! And b) why the HELL don't your Walmarts, Kodak's or whatever Lab's print at the right ratio??
Silly rabbit, prints are for film.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 1:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
Quote:
It's completely farcical that we have this problem. A) Why the freaking hell do digicams come in that ratio when 90% of the time we need 4x6 photos!!!!!!!! And b) why the HELL don't your Walmarts, Kodak's or whatever Lab's print at the right ratio??
Silly rabbit, prints are for film.
A 3mp 4x6 off my Fuji 3800 comes out BEAUTIFULLY and I much porefer to see my photos nicely laid out in an album, as do a lot of people.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 5:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Why the freaking hell do digicams come in that ratio when 90% of the time we need 4x6 photos!!!!!!!!
90% of the time I print at 4x10". If I had the choice, I would stick with the traditional 6:17 format. Folks who are really serious about photography tend to like 4:5 or 11:14 aspect ratios.

Paper is cheap - lenses are expensive. To make the best use of an expensive lens, the detector should be a circle. Since that is a problem in terms of wastage of the detector when cutting, the best approximation would be a square. Of course it is only really stupid people, like those shooting with 'blads, who like a square format.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 5:32 AM   #8
NHL

Actually LG almost got it right... 4:3 come from the CCD that were first developed for video camera to be optimized for 'video' monitor, and persist to this day as a standard size for CCD. The still camera idea, and prints came as a by-product and it's starting to change (like in the full-frame sensor) with demands... 8).

BTW my CP990 and most Nikons will let you select the rigth 3:2 aspect ratio, which I used all the time with the benefit of the resulting smaller files size(ie it cropped the CCD instead)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 8:21 PM   #9

The aspect ratio actually varies among camera makes. I have a Kodak DX4330 and its pictures come out at 2160x1440 at the best quality which print perfectly at 6x4. The aspect ratio of this camera is 3:2. However, 8x10 prints are cropped on the (short) sides, something I found the hard way. 8x10 prints are proportionally shorter than 4x6 prints.

Viewing these pictures full screen in the computer leave black borders on top and bottom of the screen.

However, a friend of mine sends me pictures taken with a Fujifilm digital camera and they take the entire screen when viewed full screen. Those pictures have the same aspect ratio as the computer screen.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 9:12 PM   #10
lg

NHL, thanks for the clarification! You learn something new every day...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote