Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 13, 2006, 1:55 PM   #1

I haven't really experimented all too much with moving objects. I tried to obtain focus with someone who was on a swingset (I was to the side of them so the distance wasn't changing) and it didn't seem like my camera ever got a focus lock. I was panning with the movement but it never beeped/locked on. I had AF set to AI Servo.

Are there some tutorials for how to take basic action/moving-object shots?

Also, could it be my kit lense that is causing the problem? I'm using a Canon Rebel XT with 18-55mm f/4-5.6 lense.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 2:19 PM   #2

Justin,

Assuming there is enough light, even the kit lens will lock focus. I wasn't aware there was a beep on the XT when focus is obtained.

Put the camera in AI-Servo mode, with continuous shot turned on, have all focus points selected and start with the center focus point over your target. Press the shutter - the camera will achieve a focus lock and track the subject. I prefer aperture priority mode for my sports shooting - just set it to f5.6 and let the camera choose the shutter speed. If you don't have at least 1/250 then increase shutter speed. You'll often find that the first shot in the sequence may not be in focus but subsequent shots will be.

Panning is a little trickier and you really need an object moving a bit faster than a swing. Panning should be done from roughly a right angle to your subject - i.e it should move from left to right or right to left and stay in the same focal plane (not completely true but this rule will give you your best chance at success). The key here is to pan the camera at the same speed as the subject - again use the burst mode. If the subject isn't moving at a fast enough rate (and a swing probably won't) you won't get the blurred background affect - try practicing on cars on a street with at least 35mph speed limit although faster is better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 4:56 PM   #3

I've also discovered that when in AI Servo mode, when the camera obtains focus it doesn't beep (which is what I was waiting for).
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote