Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 24, 2003, 1:06 PM   #1

Default film camera v/s digital camera

i was currently usin a 35mm olympus film camera and was pretty impressed wid it . now i want to buy a new camera since that camera has become old so some of my frnds suggested the canon s400(digital camera) , since it was compact and durable and it could fit in my pocket . but canons latest 35mm sureshot camera Z155 gives me evrythin the s400 gives except the lcd , but the film camera is much faster in takin pics than the digital camera . hence im lookin for a digital camera which would be as fast in takin the pics as a film camera . i no this sounds stupid but i desperately need some help , coz i need a camera mainly for action shots -hence it should be fast in takin pics .

thanz
twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2003, 3:55 PM   #2

You won't find it in a compact digital camera. There are numerous reasons why, but the bottom line is that even with the best of the fixed lens digicams, there are issues which impact the overall "speed" possible with the compact digicam.

The Olympus E10/E20 has the fastest shutter and autofocus of all the fixed lens digital cameras. The down side is that after you shoot four frames a quickly as you can press the shutter, you will have to wait an extended time for the buffer to clear to take the next frame.

The 1.5 megapixel Olympus E-100RS can shoot 15 frames per second at full resolution. It can also shoot five frames endlessly as long as you hold the shutter half way down. This is called pre-capture. When frame six is captured, frame one is erased. When frame seven is captured, frame two is erased, etc. But this comes at a cost. The white balance, exposure and focus are fixed on the first frame, and used for all subsequent frames. So if the "action" is moving toward or away from the lens, only a few of the frames will be properly focused.

The Fuji S602Z has a somewhat similar "post capture" mode where five frames are captured after the shutter is released. It too fixes focus, white balance and exposure on the first frame and maintains these settings for subsequent frames. The S602Z and E-100RS each has its advantages and limitations for action shots. Depending on the type of action, either of these "may" do the job.

If you want to have both super fast shutter, nearly instant autofocus and have white balance, exposure and focus set for each shot, you need a removable lens digital SLR or a film camera.

The Canon D30, Canon D60, Canon 10D, Canon 1D, Canon 1Ds, Nikon D100, Nikon D1, D1H, D1X, Kodak DCS-720x, DCS-660, DCS-760, Fuji S1, Fuji S2, etc., are all capable of doing what you want. A used Canon D30 (3 megapixel) or a new EOS-10D would be the least expensive solution. But then you must also buy lenses.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 1:57 AM   #3

i viewed all the cameras ya have given ,but alll of them are big and bulky , i also saw the canons s45 any suggestion on its speed in takin pics ,or could ya suggest me some camera which is fast in takin pics , is compact , and atleast has a 3\4 mp and 3X + optical zoom . my buget is around bout 300 - 500$ . plz help me out in this one 2

thanz
Old Apr 25, 2003, 2:01 AM   #4

How does the Fuji 3800 stack up?
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:53 PM   #5
lg

Twelve, as Lin said, you won't find what you are looking for in a compact digital camera. If you want to consider another "bulky" camera, check out the C-2100. I wasn't able to perceive just how fast you were taking pictures with your old Olympus, but in drive mode you can approach 2fps with mine. There's 6 new ones on eBay right now.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 2:04 AM   #6

sooo should i stick to film camera or take a digital camera . the main reason im takin a digital camera is that i can view the pic on the spot , the rest is the same even the film camera gives me some manual control . if i should go for a digital camera i dont wanna go for bulky cameras , i wanna go for compact cameras like the canons S45
Old May 16, 2003, 3:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
How does the Fuji 3800 stack up?
About as quick as you'll get.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 7:31 PM   #8

as said be4 the fuji is a bit big for me , if ill be buyin a digital camera i wonna go for a compact one ----- canons S45 or
should i stick to the canons sure shot Z155 film camera