Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 15, 2006, 7:03 PM   #1

Hi there, I'm kind of a newbie to this. I have been doing digital photos for awhile but I recently acquired a Pentax Optio MX camera which will do movies also, in the .mov format. I shot several movies which I would like to link together and eliminate the sound, then put into a DVD format, if possible.

How can I do this? I've looked at Quicktime Pro, but I don't want to purchase it if it won't do what I need. I shot the movies at optimum quality, but when playing them in this format in quicktime they are small and if I click to make the .mov full screen, it becomes really grainy.

I would like to have the quality good enough that I could give to family and friends to watch on their own TV's. I want to eliminate the "jibberjabbering" sound of people and add music if possible.

HELP ME! :lol: I would be most grateful.

I also have questions about digiscoping but I guess that's for another post
jipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 10:29 AM   #2

I'm not used to working with .mov files but if you could convert them into a different format you could use windows movie maker to do what you are trying to achive.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 6:12 PM   #3

See this site for lots of video related utilities, including splitters and joiners:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/top.html

Click on Download on the left for a list of the available downloads.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4

Thanks I'll check it out!
jipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 4:50 PM   #5
E.T

jipsy wrote:
Quote:
I shot the movies at optimum quality, but when playing them in this format in quicktime they are small and if I click to make the .mov full screen, it becomes really grainy.
Now are you sure that's best video setting?

Because if its this camera it should be able to do 640x480 MPEG4 video.
There even isn't any "optimum" quality setting
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...tiomx_pg3.html
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 4:50 PM   #6

I notice there are many more questions about how to edit and transcode (change format) MOV (and other MPEG-4) files made by digital cameras. I have posted in the "Sanyo" forum but there is also a lot of information in the "Hybrid Still/ Movie/ MP3 cameras" forum.

The trick is to make MOV video format compatible with some freeware Windows' video editing softwares - this can be done by changing the MOV to AVI by this freeware called MP4CAM2AVI. I posted this on the Sanyo forum before:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27
(middle of page 1)

NOTE: you must also have an AVI codec (I recommend XVID) installed as well - see above link.

Then the converted AVI video will be readable by Windows Movie Maker (WMM) that comes with Windows XP or higher - WMM is a full video editor that can trim video and join video clips.

One problem with using WMM is: the final video format is WMV (Windows Media Video), and you still need a DVD burning software that can convert the WMV to DVD format - AVI2DVD can do this (see below). However, the more times you transcode (or convert from one video format to another - eg. MOV to AVI to WMV to DVD), the more of the original video quality may be lost.

I also posted a short manual in the Sanyo forum on exactly what you are asking for, using three FREEWARE programs - MP4CAM2AVI, VirtualDub and AVI2DVD - this will make a video in DVD format, in the appropriate windows folders etc., ready to be burned by DVD burning software such as Nero and Roxio (that should come with DVD burners for PCs - especially the latter):

My post on the Sanyo forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=86996&forum_id=27&page=3
(near the end of page 3)

My short manual on converting MOV is here (NOTE: although the manual was written for MP4 video format, the program MP4CAM2AVI also works for MOV and some other video formats made by digital cameras - the other second and third steps are the same):

http://rapidshare.de/files/18093163/...o_dvd.zip.html

NOTE: using the programs in above manual you can do simple editing like trimming and joining clips etc. but there are no advance editing functions like scene transition, background music or removing background noise etc.

Hope you may find some use.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote