Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:23 AM   #1

Default FIRST TIME GETTING DIGITAL CAMERAS!!! PLEASE HELP!!

hi,
I plan to get a 3 megapixel digital cameras, but i can't make up my mind coz there's too many model available. Recently i surveyed and check out those few model which might suit me..but still dunno which model is the best deal. These few model are

1. Canon powershot A70
2. Kodak easyshare dx4330
3. Samsumg digimax v4

can anyone give me opinion which 1 2 choose?..
or have any other opinion on other brand or model i should consider?

My specification for the digital cameras are:
3.0 megapixel or better..but preferable less than 4 megapixel
The important thing is picture quality and the power of the camera uses AA size battery...I prefer more fucntion on the camera like shuttle control, exposure control..that kinda stuff...

Please help,

thankx

regards,
cheewooi
cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2003, 3:13 AM   #2

I'm in the same boat and considering various models but am approx 96% decided on the A70.

If you like lots of manual controls then this has them by the lorry load.

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 4:17 AM   #3

Default Re: FIRST TIME GETTING DIGITAL CAMERAS!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheewooi
1. Canon powershot A70
2. Kodak easyshare dx4330
3. Samsumg digimax v4

My specification for the digital cameras are:
3.0 megapixel or better..but preferable less than 4 megapixel
The important thing is picture quality and the power of the camera uses AA size battery...I prefer more fucntion on the camera like shuttle control, exposure control..that kinda stuff...
The indicated cams have price tags around $380, $300 and $450, respectively. If you prefer "more function", none of them should be on your list. Try Nikon's Coolpix 4500. It has full manual control (e.g., aperture-priority, shutter-priority, manual exposure, etc). It has a price of $590; however, currently, Nikon has a $200 rebate which reduces the price to about $400. The only problem is that it is not a newly released camera. In fact, it has been on the market for some time. However, with a price tag of about $400.00 after rebate, it is hard to beat this 4mp camera that has a complete set of manual control. Moreover, the 4500 is the kind of macro photography and is supported by a complete set of accessories (e.g., fisheye, 24mm wide converter, 2X and 3X tele-converters, Nikon TTL flashes, remote control, slide copier, etc). Well, it does not use AA batteries. However, the Nikon batteries are very good compared with AA batteries.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 6:35 AM   #4

I have to disagree with you on that one.

The canon has more manual control than you can shake a stick at:

ISO settable at 50/100/200/400 asa
various white balance settings
Full auto mode
auto mode with some flexibility
various pre set auto modes
aperture priority
shutter priority
full manual
manual focus
with an adapter can add wide angle and telephoto lenses

If you're looking for manual then it seems to me the A70 should be very high on your list also from a value for money point of view

Stef
Old Apr 25, 2003, 6:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice shene, about the nikon 4500. :P
This is where the problem arise. Actually I am from Malaysia, Southeast Asia where in my country the model not widely available and I am in tight budget too. I plan to get a digital camera and a memory module together..this will cost much..

Quite a lot of reviews said that A70 and kodakDX4330 not bad. Another model is Sony DSC-P7 series..the image of these sony models are sharp but the memory stick are expensive...

The onluy problem with A70 is the 'softness' if the image..while the kodak DX4330 lack of manual fucntion and it have connection problem with pc usb and it's docking station..

For stef, hey may i know which model u plan 2 get? i m in blur condition....don't know which camera suit my budget and preference... :roll:

I still look forward for more comment...
:lol:
cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 7:13 AM   #6

Hiya

Yeah I'm about 96% decided on the Canon A70.

No cam will be perfect - I wud like bigger zoom range for one.

The softness was a consideration , but after reading more and asking opinions from users this problem APPEARS TO ME to be a blown a little out of proportion.

I am still considering others but ON BALANCE the Canon seems to have most of what I want and the best compramise I have found up to now.

The price is good, it's 3mp, it's quite small, to my tastes beautifully designed, it sits in one hand nicely/easily and I belive it wud be very easy to take pics one handed if u wanted to.

I am considering others the Minolta S 414 has 4mp , a 4X zoom and pics I've seen online from it look superb - but it does not have the amount of manual setting I am looking for especially compared to the Canon.

This is what I ahve found you find a cam , begin to favour it strongly and then find something that is a major negative for you , also I think the minolta is a bit slow in the shutter lag department - another area where the Canon scores rather well.

In the end only I can choose the right cam for me and only you for oyu , but it's useful to do lots of research and seek others opinions but bear in mind some of these opinions will be couloured by personal pref and maybe bias :-)

Hope this helps some

stef