Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 17, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1

Is there a difference whether I have my pictures processed (printed/develop) at Wal-Mart/Wallgreens/etc, over a photo place? Would I be able to tell the difference?
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2

Is there a difference? YES there is definitely a difference

Will you notice the difference? That depends on how critical you are and what your frame of reference is (i.e you often don't realize something is bad until you see something better).

The quality of the prints you get is controlled by 2 basic categories:

1. The technology employed (printing process, papers used etc)

2. The tech using that technology.

I use on-line services for my printing (winkflash, ezprints) because it's easier for me and the results and price are outstanding. Also, for me I want a service that does not do any auto color correction. Some store-fronts don't offer that ability.

If you want to use a store-front my personal suggestion is to take the same 5-6 photos to each store and compare the results. As an example, I've seen some good photos from Wallmart and some bad ones - my father uses Kmart and I think they do a terrible job on his - but another kmart store might do better (better techs).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 1:52 PM   #3

I use Costco and I think their printing service is outstanding. Granted, I haven't tried anywhere else but I'm completely satisfied with them.

The local camera shop I go to (Huppins/OneCall) said that a lot of their customers go to Costco as well.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 5:42 PM   #4

i use Winkflash a lot. their print quality is excellent, they use good quality paper, and their prices are great. plus they only charge 99 cents per order for prints in any quantity or combination of sizes 8x10 or smaller.i've hadthem do larger prints as well - a couple of 11x14's @ $4.99 each, anda 16x20 print that cost $7.95 (try to find THAT at Wal-Mart!), and they all look terrific on my walls. larger prints (11x14 and up)cost more to ship, buti don't have to burn gas at $3 plus per gallon to go to Costco, circle the lot 5 times looking for parking, and thenwait in lineat the photo counter.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 9:42 PM   #5

I have a Canon IP5200R wireless printer, so I can control my prints and get exactly the result I want.

I only send out large orders, like 30 or 40large 8 x 10's, by sending them to SNAPFISH.com.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6
rey

I use Costco as well. They have the cheapest gas is town, so I'm there every week anyways, and I do almost all my grocery there. They do color adjustments on local prints, but not on prints done off-store. So keep that in mind. There are people who do not want their prints adjusted. Right now I don't really care, since my monitors are not even calibrated.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:28 AM   #7

wow first time ive heard about winkflash.. sounds very promising. so is winkflash the best/cheapest place on the net to print?
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:29 AM   #8

omGARY,

Winkflash is certainly the cheapest I've found and their picture quality is very good. Once I tried them and ezprints I've had no need to go anywhere else. They both use the Fuji Crystal archive paper and processing which has more durability than inkjet. I only have 2 gripes about winkflash:

1. It takes about 6 days for me to get my photos from them - I honestly believe they tell you it ships a day before it actually does.

2. Went through a 2 month period where two out of three of my photo orders were screwed up (pictures were missing or were sent as blank photo paper). In both cases they gave me a credit on the photos and my next purchase and of course sent out the missing prints. So, they were responsive but it was still annoying.

I've used ezprints for larger prints (panos and 16x20s) and am very happy with the results from them as well. They also handle my sales prints from my website and I've received no complaints from customers about their service.

As a note - I also have a Canon photo printer that I occasionally use but there are a few problems with that route as well:

1. It costs more to print - around 26 cents a print in ink and paper (for a 4x6) vs. the 12 cents at Winkflash

2. The ink cartridges (it's an older printer and uses 6 cartridges rather than the 8 that today's use) evaporate or dry up in the printer - so even if you're not using it you are losing expensive ink

3. The images from an ink jet really need protection - ones I have in a photo album look great 3-4 years later. Ones I have at work pinned to my wall are already showing degradation after 3 years.

I'm not sure if another photo inkjet printer from Epson or other company would be longer lasting - I'm doubting it: I think it's a limitation of inkjet technology.

BOttom line - Winkflash is a pretty darn good shop to work with as long as you can wait the week for the prints.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:42 AM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
IIf you want to use a store-front my personal suggestion is to take the same 5-6 photos to each store and compare the results. As an example, I've seen some good photos from Wallmart and some bad ones - my father uses Kmart and I think they do a terrible job on his - but another kmart store might do better (better techs).

Well, I've used Wal-Mart's online photo service for a while now. So far I've been pleased with it. I'm giving Winkflash a shot. I sent out 6 pics to Walmart and the same 6 to Winkflash. We'll see the results in a few days (I sent the pictures last Sunday). I'll let you guys know the results.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:36 AM   #10

Kaspian wrote:

Quote:
Well, I've used Wal-Mart's online photo service for a while now. So far I've been pleased with it. I'm giving Winkflash a shot. I sent out 6 pics to Walmart and the same 6 to Winkflash. We'll see the results in a few days (I sent the pictures last Sunday). I'll let you guys know the results.
which was cheaper Kaspian? keep us updated, thanks.
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote