Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Help on photo sesion

i was talking with a model and she asked me for a photo session, of course im not a pro(not even on the way to it ehhehe),
anyway, i said yes, i wanna do the best i can, can anyopne sugest me something for really nice pics? it will be like at 9 am on a bueac near her house, there would be 2 girls, they want photos with nice cars......

hope you guys gimme some ideas
milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2003, 1:52 PM   #2

Get the girls to smile and keep the sun behind you.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 3:06 PM   #3

thanks thats nice idea , any advise, or tip will be welcome
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:46 PM   #4

I would go over to photosig.com and look at a lot of pictures. Find ones you like and really think about why you like them. Was it the lighting? Was it the pose? What they were wearing or their expression?

It sounds like the model has some experience. Let’s hope so. Someone asked almost this exact question on dpreview awhile back. I couldn’t find it with a search. The three things that I explicitly remember are:

1) The model should have someone there that they are comfortable with (if they are inexperienced.)
2) You need to make them comfortable. With you, what they are doing, and what you are saying/requesting.
3) You should not touch the model without asking (others said this wasn’t necessary. It could depend on the model and how much experience they have.)

You will also probably want some kind of reflector. It helps fill in shadows and gives even lighting. If they bring a friend, maybe you can get their help in holding it. The things in the picture on this page are what I’m talking about:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...p;sku=WEMP30SW

Maybe a flash would help with this, but using one can be tricky.

And starting at 9am might be too late. The sun will already have been up for hours by then. You can still get good shots with a high sun, but it can also lead to very stark lighting with strong top-down shadows.

I was never a Boy Scout, but I like to be prepared. You might want to make sure you have brought the things that you’ll need. Towels to lay on (both her and you), water to drink, a beach umbrella for the breaks (big enough for everyone) and it could even be used in the shoot. Oh, and extra towels if you do shots with her in the water. She’ll get cold when she gets out. Items for her to hold/use in a shot. Could be as simple as a book or as complex as a picnic. And make sure you have enough digital film. You’ll look really dumb in you take lots of pictures in the first 15 minutes and then run out of space

You will want to get a consent form for her to sign. I’m not a lawyer, but there are definitely issues involved in using pictures of other people without their explicit, documented permission (unless they are famous… maybe.)

Does she know you have never done a shoot with a model before? I would make this clear. You can say you’ve done lots of photography before… you don’t want to come off dumb. But you don’t want her getting annoyed/surprised in a shot when you act in a way that a “pro” wouldn’t (this assume she has experience and knows what a pro would/wouldn’t do.)

Oh, and no… I have no personal experience with this. Just stuff I’ve picked up and thinking about what I’d say in this post. So if I’m off base in some way… then I’m sorry. I hope it goes well and that you have fun. Post a picture or two of the results when you can! I’d like to see what you end up with.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 7:32 AM   #5

eric s those were really nice ideas, she knows im not a pro, she is a pro model, ill bring a laptop with me so i dont run out of space, ill post those pics if we definitelly do it

thanks
Old Apr 27, 2003, 7:58 AM   #6

please guys gimme ideas, tips, sugestions, this will be dine tomorrow
Old Apr 27, 2003, 8:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleniumdesigns
ill post those pics if we definitelly do it
Please do.

I'm from Puerto Rico, too. Where will you be shooting? Any specific beach or landmark?
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 8:10 AM   #8

it will be in aguadilla- aguada area, im from barceloneta, and you?
Old Apr 27, 2003, 10:03 PM   #9

I'm from Luquillo but am living in Florida. Moving to California in a few weeks, though.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 2:12 PM   #10

it was done this morning all worked pretty well, models were beautiful

i wish they like when i gave them the pictures back