Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 25, 2003, 9:35 PM   #1

Default canon s400 or a70?

ive seen a lot of discussion about these cameras, but i still dont quite know what to think. im really torn between these two cameras. right now i have both on order from dell, and im deciding which to cancel. the a70 is ~$130 bucks cheaper.

this is my first digital camera. i did some photography in high school, so the a70s manual features really draw me in. but as a college guy, i go to dances and parties and the s400's size is really appealling. im also a nitpick for quality, and from what images ive seen and also reviews ive read, it seems the s400 is higher quality.

given this, which camera would you guys recommend for me?

thanks in advance for your help.
w0lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2003, 1:51 PM   #2

any thoughts? which would people choose between the canon a70 and the sony dsc p72? i like the fact that the p72 can record 640x480 video with no limit (except for memory capacity on the card). is the image quality better than the a70? people keep talking about a70 softness. honestly, from all the sample pics ive seen, i dont see the softness, in fact, i like the pictures from the a70 better than the p72. they seem sharper and clearer. but the p72 armed with a 1gb card could record 44 minutes of VGA video, thats pretty sweet.
w0lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 5:17 AM   #3

I have just bought a Canon a70 an I am very pleased with it.
I spent ages looking at cameras on the net and reading reviews etc.

I ended up going to the shop and holding the cameras I had picked out from reviews on the net. I found that some of them I just did not like the feel of and they did not feel comfortable in the hand. Some of them felt too small, but the Canon was perfect, was comfortable and easy to use.

It really is personal preference. I drew up a list of what features I needed and set a budget and short listed some cameras from there. I am not a professional, still learning, and just wanted something point and shoot, but with feature I could learn with.

I like the quality of the canon and being a recognised name. Another bonus was its takes 4 normal AA batteries that are cheap to buy, especially rechargable ones, and it uses compact flash which is cheaper for me to buy here.

My advice would be short list some cameras and go into the shop and try them out.

happy choosing.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 4:19 AM   #4

Movie mode should not be a big draw for buying a digicam. Also, can the p72 use memory stick pro? Otherwise, you won't be able to get a 1 gig card. If you really want compact, go for the s400 since it is smaller and has an extra mp. I'd personally go with the a70 since I like big bulky film slr size cameras (you won't loose 'em, fewer people would be inclined to steal it compared to an ultra-compact pocketable camera, and they are easier to hold) plus the a70 has the manual features you mentioned and can take add-on lenses.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 3:03 PM   #5

the a70 isn't the size of a 35mm SLR camera.

Its much smaller, and can use 1 hand to operate it.

The only thing that adds weight to the camera are its 4 AA batteries.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 2:19 AM   #6

It may be smaller, but it is still huge when compared to the s400.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote