Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 26, 2003, 4:28 PM   #1

Default Well I went out and bought one what now ?

Hi All

Well after approx 10 days of uhming and aghing and reading reviews till I went blue in the face I today took the plunge and bought the Canon A70.

So what should I be looking for now and what do I need to look out for on any accesories.

The first thing I need is a compact flash card and I have that covered - I already have a source for this as I bought one for my Psion 5mx palmtop computer.

That said is there any/much difference in CF cards ?

The next thing I will get will be some rechargeables and a charger - I will read the batteries section of the forums but can I also ask here again is there much choice and much difference between different batteries and chargers ?

I have read that a higher powered battery (circa 1800 ?) is better , but any pointers or other advice ?

Finally are there any other extras and accesories I should be looking at ?

thanks

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2003, 5:34 PM   #2

Steve's review right here on his site covers quite a bit, but this is the one review that should answer all your questions about batteries...........

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

as far as CF cards are concerned, anything over 12x (speed) would be just plain overkill for a Canon A70.
look here to see what the Minolta folks are having luck with...........

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...rd_speeds.html

enjoy the new toy.......the A70 is a nice camera.
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 6:18 PM   #3

Default thanks Hawkeye

Thanks for those useful links Hawkeye.

Had a very quick peek and they look like useful reading and funnily enough on the CF card one I found a brand (Simple Technology) that seem to be quite good and I already have one of this brand (128 mb) that I use in my Psion 5mx palmtop computer and they are available online for UK 30 (app US $ 45) so looks like I'll go for one of these.

You're right about the toy comment - I'm like a kid with a new toy LOL

Stef
Old Apr 26, 2003, 7:06 PM   #4

LOL.........well the A70 is no toy, it's capable of producing some excellent photographs.............but i know just how you feel..........it's great to see someone's enthusiasm.......;-))
have fun
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 1:06 PM   #5

Congrats!!!! I have given myself until May 1st to pick something I bet they'll have new models out by then.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 5:22 PM   #6

for that camera, not much difference in CF cards. I don't think you will really get anthing by going with the really fast cards. Stick to a mjaor brand (SanDisk, Lexar, Viking, etc.) and shop by price. Get a charger and two sets of rechargeable batteries.

After that? Take pictures. Lots and lots of them. Then, trot down to the local Wal-Mart and stick the CF card into the Fuji kiosk hand print them out. (if your neighborhood Wal-Mart is so equipped). Also, post some here.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:24 AM   #7

Where did you buy yours. I can't find this camera in the stores.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:48 AM   #8

I'm in the UK, where are you ?

!st store I went to was out of stock, 2nd store was charging UK 40/US$ 60 app, more so I asked if they'd price match and they did so without hesitation

stef
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:54 PM   #9

I have also just bought a Canon a70 am are very pleased with it!

I have bought a card reader off ebay from digiprintuk.com (cheaper on ebay through them) and they do compact flash cards 256mb for 42.50 delivered.

As canon don't supply a power adaptor with the camera, I liked the idea of a card reader. It only cost me 9.99 and saves on batteries etc.

I liked the pocket sized manual, small enough to carry around and study etc.

Unfortunately it has rained here since I got the camera last Sunday and I am hoping sun this weekend.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:23 PM   #10
SSD

Congrats on your new A70(s)!!!!
I got one a few weeks ago and I love it. It has a good feel in my hands, is small and I have gotten some great pics! I got a Sandisk Ultra CF card (256) that works fine with this camera($76 with ship[ping included at googlegear.com)

I also have the fuji s602 which is the most excellent camera, My canon is a grab and go camera
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote