Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 27, 2003, 2:45 AM   #1

Default My opinions on four digicams I have recently tested

During this past month I have had the opportunity to try four digital cameras (thanks to generous return policies!).

I thought this information would be useful to those folks just looking into buying a digital camera and are wanting some opinions. This is entirely my opinion and I am sure other people have had different experiences with these cameras- feel free to add your two cents please! Edited to say- these opinons are entirely from a "point and shoot" perspective, that is what I want, something quick and easy, I don't want to mess with manual settings too much.

Kodak EasyShare DX4330 - Very easy to use but I thought the picture quality was consistently inferior to the other cameras. This camera takes criticism for its performance in low light but I thought it performed pretty well in low light.

Sony CyberShot DSC-P72 - I liked this camera's performance, it was fast. The big problem was that it produced an obvious (annoying) shadow to the left of people in every shot. I've heard that this is due to the positioning of the flash from the lens.

Canon PowerShot A60 - I would have purchased the A70 but the opportunity never presented itself so I settled with the A60. The A60 was very fast too and I actually really liked this camera. Believe it or not one of the downfalls of this camera for me was that there were too many manual settings! I felt like I needed to do something to improve the picture quality but looking at all my options was a bit overwhelming. The color was great but I just couldn't get past the infamous "image softness" I have read so much about with this camera (and the A70). I could tell it was there and I probably wouldn't care if most of my subjects were flowers or scenery but 99% of my pictures are of my children and it just looks better if their features are nice and crisp. Which brings me to the next camera...

Nikon Coolpix 3100 - By far, this camera produced the crispest and sharpest images. I have taken close up portraits of people's faces with all these cameras and none of them compare to this Nikon camera when it comes to crisp details. The biggest complaint I have is its tendency to make white items (socks, T-shirts...) look VERY white! Also, to get good "people" color with this camera I had to manually change the white balance setting to "Speedlight". The Auto setting tended to take the color out of people's skin but once I set it to the Speedlight setting, all was well. I thought at first this camera performed pretty poorly in low light but after testing the Sony and the Canon I decided it isn't really all that bad.

I hope this helps some beginners out a bit. I'm sure owners of these cameras can probably offer suggestions on how to fix some of the "bad" points I discussed above. I know you can use software to doctor up the images but I don't want to have to do that.

I have decided to keep the Nikon. It has its flaws but overall it is the best one for me. My husband is relieved that I have finally made up my mind because he was tired of me taking what seemed like a million pictures every day!
Salvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2003, 8:56 AM   #2

Default Re: My opinions on four digicams I have recently tested

Well, Salvin, thank you for testing all these cameras. It looks like I have good instincts because I decided on the 3100 as well. It arrives tomorrow.

You told me Dell has a generous return policy. Who else did you buy from?

Quote:
...something quick and easy, I don't want to mess with manual settings too much.
Neither do I. Hence, my choice.

Quote:
Canon PowerShot A60 -Believe it or not one of the downfalls of this camera for me was that there were too many manual settings!
That was one of the downfalls that made me move away from the A70, BTW.

Quote:
Nikon Coolpix 3100 - By far, this camera produced the crispest and sharpest images. I thought at first this camera performed pretty poorly in low light but after testing the Sony and the Canon I decided it isn't really all that bad.
The samples I took with the 3100 looked crisper and sharper than the A70 when I tested both.

Quote:
I know you can use software to doctor up the images but I don't want to have to do that.
Yep. Why waste time with software? You want to get the best shot possible with the camera.

Quote:
I have decided to keep the Nikon
Congratulations and thanks for testing. One thing I have to say is the lack of audio capture in movie mode is a bummer , but it wasn't a factor that made me move away from the camera. I'm looking forward to tomorrow
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 12:02 PM   #3

I also purchased from Circuit City and Wal-Mart. In all instances I made sure they knew I was going to test the cameras and if I didn't like them I was going to return them. Some places wouldn't let me do that so I didn't buy from them. I ultimately ended up keeping the Nikon from Dell.

Now I just have to purchase rechargable batteries and a charger.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:01 PM   #4

Circuit City advertises their very lenient return policy. I returned RAM there that wasn't compatible with my father's computer (Ram needed to be low density), and they gave me my money back - twice... after I had destroyed the packaging.

Best Buy - I was probably going to buy from them, because well, they are close to where I normally shop. The local Circuit city is old, and doesn't have as many cool toys as our Best Buy, and I like to look at everything before walking out with my purchase. (Have you seen those $10,000 plazma screens - wow... I wonder if they take cars for downpayments? lol). Anyway, read the fine print at Best Buy. ALL opened Digital Cameras, laptops, camcorders, and radar detectors will be charged a 15% RESTOCKING FEE unless defective. This goes for exchanges too.

Of course... try not to overly abuse lenient return policies too much, prices will either go up, or they'll stop the policy. :mrgreen:
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:04 PM   #5

Salvin,

When I go online to see what Nikon products Dell sells, all I see is the 5700, 2000 and 2500. Where did you find the 3100 on their site (did you see the 4300?).

Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:10 PM   #6
SSD

To find the Nikon at Dell, I had to enter nikon 3100 into the search engine, and there it was!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:21 PM   #7
SSD

Salvin

How did you get the speedlite setting on your 3100. When I compare pics from my 3100 and A70, the skin tones in the 3100 pics look washed out compared to the A70 pics. I love the A70 and the 3100 and want to get better skin tones with the 3100.
Thanks!!!!!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:44 AM   #8

SSD:

Salvin told me she has to go to manual mode in order to use speedlight.

Aubrey
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD
To find the Nikon at Dell, I had to enter nikon 3100 into the search engine, and there it was!

That worked for me, but nothing comes up for nikon 4300. They must not sell it. Too bad, they can have some great deals from time to time.

I may wait for a coupon code or something for circuitcity.com.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:12 AM   #10

Mattg - On Dell's website, go to Software & Peripherals- Digital Cameras- 3 Megapixel Digital Cameras. It will list all the 3 megapixel digital cameras including the 3100.

SSD - I changed to manual mode and set the White Balance to SpeedLight. Once you are in manual mode one of the options is White Balance and SpeedLight is the last one listed, I think you have to scroll down a page to see it.