Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 27, 2003, 8:19 AM   #1

Default Beginners Kit for D10

My friend talked me in to buying DSLR instead of G3, and my budget is very limited.

I want to have setup that will help me to learn about all aspects of photography, not the high quality/speed lens. Also I understand that D10 + 50mm will do the job for budget setup, and the later I can invest in good lenses, but...

But I am from Belgrade, Yugoslavia I don't have opportunity to walk in store and get another lens. I have to "order" equipment from friend in US and he will bring it to me once in year or two. So I really need to build Beginner Kit with this one "order". And to help you understanding market here, used G3 costs 900 EUR!

Here is setup that is affordable to me:

D10 body - 1500

Lens Kit 1 = 500
-------------
24-70mm, Sigma f3.5-5.6 HF - 99
70-300mm, Sigma f4-5.6 DL Macro Super - 149
50mm, Sigma f2.8EX Macro - 249

Lens Kit 2 = 650-700
-------------
19-35mm, f3.4-4.5 Phoenix, Vivitar, Tokina, Tamron -150-200
28-300mm, Sigma f3.5-6.3 DL IF HyperZoom - 250
50mm, Sigma f2.8EX Macro - 249

In second combination for WA I don't know what difference between these four brands is, looks same to me. And should I add that famous 50mm f1.8 lens to both combinations?

Also I am very afraid about Sigma lens rechiping. Someone mentioned it is needed for pre 2000 models. If I buy it now as new, is there chance to buy 2000 model in shops? I guess new means year old at most? Any places where I can for sure buy compatible Sigma lens?

And what other accessories I need? Tripod, Remote Switch, Cleaning Kit?

If someone can recommend cheap compact tripod, it will help me a lot. With this cheap lens, tripod is a must I guess...

Or should I just keep with G3?

Thanks in advance,
Absolute Beginner!
ajevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2003, 9:48 AM   #2

Eventhough this section is for new people, I would still suggest that you post this question in the Canon DSLR section. You'll get more useful answers there.

I'm surprised you can't order the lens from Germany or the UK and get it delivered via DHL. Of course, I'm talking out of complete ignorance... so that idea could be impossible.

Are you ordering based on cost or quality?

The Canon 50mm F1.8 is good and its a lot cheaper than that Sigma 50mm you list. By almost $200. Of course, maybe it isn't built as well... and it definitly doesn't have macro.

As to the other lenses... I don't know. I'd go read on the dpreview forums. A lot of lens questions get asked there and there are a fair number of good people there (more on the Nikon SLR forum, but that isn't a bash on Canon... just the nature of the internet and where people go.)

Personally, I'm going with the 28-135mm Canon. It isn't the best thing in the world, but with IS I can use it without a tripod.

There is a tripod forum here, but it isn't used a lot. You could look there, though. There has been a little tripod talk here in the newbie and general forums. Be careful of what you get for a tripod in many cases you get what you pay for. Many people have said "the single best purchase to improve the quality of your pictures is a tripod". And I think they are right.

I wouldn't worry about the Sigma lens rechipping problem unless you buy used. I could be wrong, but that is just the impression I get.

You probably don't need a remote switch if you are only considering a tripod.

I don't know what comes in a cleaning kit. I don't believe one is required (as I've heard people using rather more common items to clean with) but I can't really say.

As to splitting up the forums.. there is a search feature. It works fairly well.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I'm surprised you can't order the lens from Germany or the UK and get it delivered via DHL. Of course, I'm talking out of complete ignorance... so that idea could be impossible.
I have horrible experiences with international couriers. I am still waiting to pick up shipment from FedEx after 2 weeks after it arrived. Here only DHL is ok, but still major problem are our customs they hold, open packages, and take whatever they like. Beside that - 10% price up for custom, 20% for tax. It's better to wait friend and take it from his hand. Also my worries if something is wrong, I will have to ship back. It's hell down here...

Quote:
Are you ordering based on cost or quality?
My first idea was to have one more quality lens, and other to cover all other 'ranges'. On that way I can find out difference. Since I am newbie, first year I won’t be sure if something wrong is with lens or with me

Quote:
The Canon 50mm F1.8 is good and its a lot cheaper than that Sigma 50mm you list. By almost $200. Of course, maybe it isn't built as well... and it definitly doesn't have macro.
Macro is the most interesting aspect of photography to me (currently). Wide angle lens are difficult to buy for D10 due 1.6x so I won't rush to explore that. On other hand xx-300mm lens have decent zooms, and as far as I am concern I always can compensate bigger zoom by approaching to subject.

Quote:
Personally, I'm going with the 28-135mm Canon. It isn't the best thing in the world, but with IS I can use it without a tripod.
I was tempted to buy that lens for 400 USD, but friend told me that it is silly to give $200 for stabilization feature. And it won't me help at begin to understand how to compensate vibration on my own.

Quote:
As to splitting up the forums.. there is a search feature. It works fairly well.
I've "cross posted" same message to dpreview forum, and forgot to cut out that part. I was thinking on dpreview forum. My message went to history after few hours, and probably nobody will see it unless I bump it frequently.

I've done some research about lens reviews and forums. For all budget lenses all discussion have the same end - "don't save on lens", "you will keep lens, and change body". I respect and understand all that, but I has to try with something cheaper in order to cover most aspects of photography. That is thing that people hard accept.

And I fill sick from advices "I'll rather buy one ultra-shiny-cool lens that I am using 95% time, than dozen other". Or keep with 50mm f1.8. How I can find out what is Macro, Telephoto and other things with one lens, even it is perfect and cost $1000... I will sell lens later, buy some good that I am mostly using. Probably I will get even more money than I've invested when I remember pricing here

Thanks for advice, definitely I will use 28-135 with IS but with next order. Until then I will try to learn thing on harder way
ajevic is offline   Reply With Quote