Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 24, 2006, 4:13 AM   #1

I am on a slow PP learning curve with RAW photos, its really a case of RAW or JPEG (JPG/JPE) I can't make up my mind.
I'm taking a big trip soon and because my KM A2 allows a single shot to be saved in both jpeg and raw files (storage is not a problem), it would seem that I could have my cake and eat it to. Jpeg gives a use now photo while raw seems to give much greater options with PP.
Question: Will using the raw format allow me to save/create files using different color space, ie: sRGB or aRGB etc., I ask this because I would like to be able feel confident that through trial and error using PP I will be able to achive the best possible photo results with the shots taken on this trip.
Thanks for any help.
Coolsiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 5:33 AM   #2
E.T

Of course you can make photos of any color space from RAW, it's raw monochromatic data taken through Bayer filter and colors aren't yet calculated.
(also you can set camera to produce directly either sRGB or Adobe RGB JPEGs)
Especially RAW gives much more freedom for editing photos because of greater bit depth, also correcting smaller exposure errors is possible.

BTW, make sure you have memory cards which work fast with A2, like Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III because unlike RAW-mode, RAW+JPEG isn't buffered.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15829683
For good condition shots JPEG would be propably enough for all normal print sizes.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 3:22 PM   #3

Here is a little comparison I made...

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4

I like the compasion photos....raw is for me.

Question please, what PP work has been done on both the JPG and Raw and did you use tonemapping?
Coolsiggy is offline   Reply With Quote