Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I have to say that I think fenlander is giving good advice! You can't expect to take a new cam out of the box, point it at a mirror for a self portrait, (or the box) and say it doesn't take good pics!
Sorry maybe I should have clarified more at where I though the shortcomings in the image were.

1. The two images taken in my flat seem to be very grainy to me .

2. The one of the table seems to have very little if anything in really clear focus, OK granted for cams without a focus assist beam this might be expected but as the Canon does have one and compared to the sharp focus of Gimli's pics .... or am I missing something here .

3. The outdoor pics are a little better but I still feel the above issues are present, if to a lesser extent.

Quote:
If you start by taking pics in decent light and learn the controls, ....... But if you insist on a point and shoot flash example to prove your camera, all you are doing is failing to understand how the camera is trying to automatically expose for the things you are pointing it at!
Fair point and these were pics taken 10 mins after taking camera out of the box -and as I have said elsewhere I am not new to photography only to digital - while I expected some differences between the media I also thought there would be much in common - exposure priciples etc - have I drastically underestimated the differences ? :-(

Quote:
The 10% parts of your pictures nearest the flash are OK, you need a bit more skill though, to get the same across the remaining 90% of the shot!

Hmm well my comment on that is when I look at the right hand leg of the table it looks VERY grainy and again I feel the focus is not all it should be.

Appologies if I am missing something obvious here and please let me know if any of my expectations.thoughts in these posts is way off the mark.

Thanks for your feedback

Stefan
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:20 PM   #12

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...7219602d509455http://<br /> <br /> and another A.../> stef<br />
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:28 PM   #13
SSD

I tested my a70 one night in the dark. I went into a bedroom with the lights out and took a pic of my son sleeping. The pic is well lit and focused. He was within range of the flash though. Keep trying, the a70 is a neat camera.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 3:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD
I tested my a70 one night in the dark. I went into a bedroom with the lights out and took a pic of my son sleeping. The pic is well lit and focused. He was within range of the flash though. Keep trying, the a70 is a neat camera.
Thanks for that, but that was why I was wondering if something was wrong with mine as I read a lot of rave reviews/comments, however I ahve also read somewhere that there have been issues of quality control - one poster citing 3 returned cameras.

I will of course take some more pics at the weekend and see how I go.

Thanks for the feedback

Stef
Old Apr 30, 2003, 4:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
First of all you are not comparing like with like. Gimlis pics are very close and well within the range of the measly flash on a digicam. Yours are not.

My old Fuji 2600 was hopeless with flash with a range of 5-6 feet, my Oly 730 much better but still pathetic at 10-12 feet.

You don't mention what camera you are using??? I think.

Try to understand how light works. Technically the intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance i.e. if you double the distance from the flash the intensity is only a quarter.

In other words the brightness of the flash drops off like a bag of spuds - bright at a certain point but dim only a short distance thereafter.

If I take a photo in a large room I half depress (or exposure lock) somewhere distant and dim (if pos) to force the flash to open-up - full power scotty.

A good flash needs the brightness of a Saturn 5 rocket blasting off.
Thanks for those pointers Steve - very helpful

stef
Old May 2, 2003, 4:30 PM   #16

So how is the camera now Stef?
Old May 2, 2003, 4:34 PM   #17

Just uploading some more pics now taken in my flat, but the weather here today has been wet and grey so not the ideal weather to take any outdoor pics..watch this space honey

Stef
Old May 2, 2003, 5:30 PM   #18

Default new pics uploaded

Hi Honey

OK you can take a peek at latest tesp pics I just uploaded here :

http://community.webshots.com/user/stefank60100http://<br /> <br /> Take a look a.../> Stef<br />
Old May 2, 2003, 5:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefank
the weather here today has been wet and grey so not the ideal weather to take any outdoor pics..Stef
Why not take pictures in bad weather? It's always good to test your camera in all situations.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote