Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:53 AM   #1

Default test pics - feeback please

:?

Hi all

Can you please take a peek at my early pics at the following link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/stefank60100

I am highly dissapointed with these especially the ones in my flat in the dark. I can make a direct comparison with some pics that Gimli has taken in the dark - his look sharp, well exposed, well saturated and al round pretty impresive - far better than I expected from a digicam.

Mine look ...welll c**p really and even worse than I expected from a digicam.

I am actually wondering if there is something wrong with the cam ?

I will take some more pics in coming week or so and see what they are like and may post some more.

Would appreciate nay feedback and ideas a sto what may be wrong :?

Thanks

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:00 AM   #2

Internal digicam flashes are c**p! Look at the poor light coverage. Try an external unit.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:04 AM   #3

Thankks for the quick reply but as I said in my post Gimli's interior pics with his A60 are far better than mine see:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9293

or directly to the pics:

http://www.venrilsathir.com/pix/lowlight1.jpg
http://www.venrilsathir.com/pix/lowlight2.jpg

These are waaay better than mine with pretty much the same Cam

Stef
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:20 AM   #4

The edges in the first picture seem to have a lot of aliasing effects. A lot of "jaggies". The second one seems to suffer from over sharpening. How much sharpening did you do?

I look at those links to Gimli's pictures and I agree that they are much better. You'd have to ask him what settings he used and if he used an external flash or not.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:36 AM   #5

I did no sharpening at all.

Just point and shoot and no after jiggling about with the image - I think iso rating was either 200 or 100.

Stef
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:28 AM   #6

First of all you are not comparing like with like. Gimlis pics are very close and well within the range of the measly flash on a digicam. Yours are not.

My old Fuji 2600 was hopeless with flash with a range of 5-6 feet, my Oly 730 much better but still pathetic at 10-12 feet.

You don't mention what camera you are using??? I think.

Try to understand how light works. Technically the intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance i.e. if you double the distance from the flash the intensity is only a quarter.

In other words the brightness of the flash drops off like a bag of spuds - bright at a certain point but dim only a short distance thereafter.

If I take a photo in a large room I half depress (or exposure lock) somewhere distant and dim (if pos) to force the flash to open-up - full power scotty.

A good flash needs the brightness of a Saturn 5 rocket blasting off.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:14 PM   #7

Why exactly did you buy a Canon A70? Was it because you wanted a really capable camera you could cripple to the resolution of a teabag?

How often do you intend to take pictures in complete darkness? How will you know what you're taking pictures of?

If I gave my old granny a Porsche Carrera and sent her a quarter of a mile up the road in it at midnight in the pouring rain to bring back some bags of cement, do you think she'd really appreciate how good the car is?

If you owned a racehorse, would you blame it for losing races if you'd tied the bags of cement round its legs?

Try taking some REAL pictures. Crank the resolution up to the camera's full 3.2mp in fine or superfine and take some shots in decent light. When you've got that right, you can start messing with some more difficult photographic situations. Good pictures are 95% good technique and 5% good camera, not the other way round.

Oh, and try reading the manual. Not doing so is not virtuous.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 1:38 PM   #8

I have to say that I think fenlander is giving good advice! You can't expect to take a new cam out of the box, point it at a mirror for a self portrait, (or the box) and say it doesn't take good pics!

If you start by taking pics in decent light and learn the controls, you might also find that using some manual features when shooting with internal flash, or post exposure compensation could improve your result. But if you insist on a point and shoot flash example to prove your camera, all you are doing is failing to understand how the camera is trying to automatically expose for the things you are pointing it at! Try running your pics through 'auto brightness and contrast' and see if you notice a difference.

The 10% parts of your pictures nearest the flash are OK, you need a bit more skill though, to get the same across the remaining 90% of the shot! But Photoshop or an alternative, might in the short term, help you compensate for lack of camera knowledge.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 3:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
First of all you are not comparing like with like. Gimlis pics are very close and well within the range of the measly flash on a digicam. Yours are not.
His shots of the glasses and speaker are close the other one seems to me to cover a wider distance - my shot of the table starts app 20 inches from the camera lens and extends back from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
You don't mention what camera you are using??? I think.
If I didn't it's the Canon A70
Old Apr 29, 2003, 3:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenlander
Why exactly did you buy a Canon A70? Was it because you wanted a really capable camera you could cripple to the resolution of a teabag?
Firstly I would like to say that your sarcastic tone and comments are not what I would expect from this forum and particularly as my post was in the NEWBIE forum and that I did not appreciate them.

I will now go on to answer some of the questions/points you have asked/made.

I bought the A70 because I have used 35mm SLR's and the odd compact for app the last 20 years and whenever I used a compact I missed the manual control that the SLR's gave me (I currently use a Canon 1000fn) . I liked the large range of manual control and read many good reviews and felt this offered me the best compramise of features I was looking for.

Quote:
How often do you intend to take pictures in complete darkness? How will you know what you're taking pictures of?
Not very often at all I just thought, having seen Gimli's pics, I could make a reasonable comparison as he has an A60 and the pictures were taken at SIMILAR distances and in the dark , granted I don't know what his exact settings were. OK not entirely scientific I grant you , but a reasonablish approach I thought

Quote:
Try taking some REAL pictures. Crank the resolution up to the camera's full 3.2mp in fine or superfine and take some shots in decent light.
OK I had the resolution set to 768 X 1024 (I THINK Gimli had his set slightly LOWER- but I may be mistaken) and Image quality set to fine.

Stef