Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:09 AM   #1

I have Canon Powershot A40, Zoombrowser 3.2, Windows XP. The canon software lost all my pictures last year with Win98, so I started using Picasa 2. This year I have a new PC and re-installed Zoombrowser because I was missing not having the shooting data (date/time etc) any more. However, the software does not recognise the camera when it's connected to PC. I do not understand what RAW means, so perhaps the installation was incomplete - could that be relevant? Am considering solving these problems by upgrading to new camera/software - but (in hope of an earlier solution emerging) I have nearly 300 pics still in the camera which I have not yet uploaded. What's my best way ahead?
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:58 AM   #2
E.T

Any even half serious image editor/viewing software can show EXIF data and RAW doesn't have anything to do with it.
(unless you shoot RAWs instead of JPEGs)
Free Exifer shows also most of makernotes.
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

And get separate USB card reader, those are dirt cheap and transferring photos is much faster using them and doesn't consume batteries.

PS. Now don't tell me that you have photos archived only in PC's HD.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:00 AM   #3

I'll check out the link. Still don't know precise meanings of EXIF or RAW - my camera manual does not mention them.

Yes, :Gmy photos are kept on HD, but I have a few backups on external HD and CD's - any other ideas?

So, to save all the pics in the camera, you recommend using a USB card reader instead of connecting the camera? I'll look at that too. Many thanks, E.T.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:10 PM   #4

Now done a bit of reading and understand a bit more of the terms. Transferred pics using card reader - as you say, very quick and I have all the EXIF data too, available in Picasa. No need for connecting the camera direct.

So, I can now upgrade the camera. Thanks again
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:41 AM   #5

I just updated my ZoomBrowser (from 5.2 to 5.6.0.26), and my limited use of the new version is MUCH better. 5.2 kept locking-up my computer (XP Home), but 5.6 hasn't. If you already have ZB, it's a free update from Canon!

http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:48 AM   #6

I was going to point out that the latest version seems better.
I use it for very little (I've the full version of PhotoShop) but it does seem slightly better.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote