Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 1, 2003, 9:48 PM   #1

Default I've got it narrowed down to canon A70, s230, s400

I already have orders for the canon A70 and s230, but i can cancel one or both. I got really good deals on them and i can also get a deal on the s400.

it seems that the consensus pick would be to get the a70. but, i've had a "larger" digital camera for a while and realize that size is very important. many times i've left the camera because i didn't feel like lugging it around.

most of my pictures will be people pictures and i want something convenient but with decent quality.

the s230 and s400 are small enough that i wouldn't mind losing some features to get the smaller size.

another questin is, is the s400 worth another $100 to get 4MP?

the good thing is that all 3 are small compared to my previous camera.

also, all 3 are compact flash. i have a microdrive that i'd like to use with them. will this be possible?

thanks for any and all suggestions
frogster220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2003, 10:04 PM   #2

I noticed that all 3 can't use microdrives

one big plus for the s400 is it's red eye feature. it fared much better than many other cameras. red eye is one of the most annoying affects.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:35 PM   #3

What are microdrives and why are they important?
Old May 2, 2003, 1:04 PM   #4

Microdrives are high capacity CF type 2 format storage devices. If your camera uses them, you can buy a 1 gig microdrive and take it on your 4 week vacation and never run out of "film"
Old May 2, 2003, 1:46 PM   #5

not a deal buster though if you like that particular camera. You can get 512MB type 1 cards. It's not like it's hard to carry an extra CF card if you really need a gig of space.
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 3:36 PM   #6

Thanks.
Old May 3, 2003, 3:07 AM   #7

What do you plan on doing with the images? If you want to be able to crop the image and still print an 8x10 or print larger than 8x10, i'd suggest the s400. If you just want to print 8x10s with no cropping or smaller images, then by all means, go with the s230. You should be very happy with either.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 9:01 AM   #8

Usually, I don't print out my images but make CDs or DVDs with them. Some amazing affects can be obtained if you have enough resolution, so I'd rather have too many pixels to work with than not enough.

This is my second digital camera. It's interesting that when I got my first camera, my biggest concern was getting prints out of it. Now, I almost never get prints. It's so much more convenient to store images in a digital frame or make a CD or DVD out of it to watch on TV.

Another problem is that Dell doesn't have the s400 in stock. It's listed with a late June estimated delivery date.
Old May 5, 2003, 10:50 PM   #9

If you don't plan on printing out images and dell doesn't have the s400 in stock, stick with the a70, or, if you want compact, the s230.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 8:06 AM   #10

The a70 came in and it is such a great camera. I am just so amazed by it.

If the s400 comes in soon, I'll take some pics and pick the best of the two. otherwise, i'll stick with the a70.

regardless of printing, i do alot of enlarging and cropping which is one reason for considering the s400.