Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 2, 2003, 10:11 AM   #1

Default Looking at buying a camera, Canon?

Hello. Was looking for a new digital camera. My current one is about 3 years old. I was looking at the Canon A60, but heard mixed reviews. I heard the pictures are soft, camera is noisy, etc. What do you recommend? Looking at spending under $300. I am looking for at least a 2 megapixels.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 1:12 PM   #2

It's a personal thing but when it comes to cheapish P+S cams I tend to favour the Fuji. I used to have one and it was great.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 4:57 PM   #3

Default Canon

What exactly do you mean by the Canon's being noisy ?

It does have several noises generated by the camera to let you know stuff is happening ie shutter noise - however these can ALL be switched on or off as you prefer.

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 5:23 PM   #4

Default Re: Canon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefank
What exactly do you mean by the Canon's being noisy ?

It does have several noises generated by the camera to let you know stuff is happening ie shutter noise - however these can ALL be switched on or off as you prefer.

Stef
Hi Stef, Thanks for responding. I was reading reviews. One just said that the camera was noisy. A lot said about pictures being soft? Do you have the A60?? What is everyones recommendation? Or do you recommend another brand? Thanks
Nick521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 6:35 PM   #5

I only bought it six days ago and havent used it much yet.

You can check some of my test pics if you like here :

http://community.webshots.com/user/stefank60100[url]

I need to take some more pics with it before I decide 100 % if I'm happy or not - though have seen some pics from other users that looked good.

The softness issue has been well covered in these forums and I get the impression that it is not quite as big an issue as some would make out.

I chose the A70 (virtually the same as the A60 just higher megapixel rating and higher resolution in movie mode) because of the amount of manual control offered.

I have used several 35 mm cameras for the past 20 yrs and whenever I went from an SLR to a point and shoot compact I always regretted it and missed the manual control - this was my biggest draw to the Canon A60/70.

It is also a beautifully designed cam (personal opinion) and the menus are VERY logical and easy to access - it's a joy to use.

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 3:20 PM   #6

It depends, of course, on how you use it and what your demands/expectations are. I have the A40, the predecessor of the A60, and while there are many things I like about it, the pictures aren't very crisp. In fact, they're downright soft, though it can take quite good macros, so I'm in the market for a different camera.

I think the A60/A70 cameras would be perfect for 75% of the people using digicams if Canon would just sharpen the lenses a little. Heck, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but as it is I think I'll end up buying a Nikon even though I don't like their batteries or user interface nearly as well.
BackroadRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 5:46 AM   #7

Hey BackRoadRanger, I almost got the A70 but one day I took two different CF cards to Best Buy and placed them on the A70 and Nikon CP 3100/2100. I took various pictures of my son and after checking them out at home I went with the 3100. No regrets on my decision, I must say. Sharp, crisp colors galore!
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote