Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:39 AM   #1

Hi ya,

I'm new to this digital camera malarky and need so advice.

I was trying to take some photo's of my friends in the back garden on Saturday night, but I couldn't get them to come out very well.

I've got a Casio Exilim z600. When I had the camera on auto, the background seemed really dull and dark. So i tried it on the "Best Shot" mode, "High sensitivity" and the lighting came out perfect but it was a bit blurred.

Where am I going wrong? I don't know anything about photography, please help!
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:54 PM   #2

tom21 writes: I've got a Casio Exilim z600. When I had the camera on auto, the background seemed really dull and dark. So i tried it on the "Best Shot" mode, "High sensitivity" and the lighting came out perfect but it was a bit blurred.

tom, do you mean blurred as in "slightly out of focus" or as in "lacking detail due to graininess?"

I don't know what your camera does in High Sensitivity mode, but it probably jacks up the ISO setting making the camera more sensitive to light. All digital cameras produce more "noise" (graininess) as the ISO setting is increased. It's a compromise in image quality that you must accept to be able to get certain shots that you couldn't get otherwise.

On the chance that your pix were blurred through a slight lack of focus, the camera could have used a very low shutter speed to get more light exposure -- a speed so low that you couldn't get a sharp shot due to motion blur from your hands, your friend's movements or both.

I'm betting on the first explanation, though.

You can probably verify which condition existed by looking at the pix with an editing or viewing program that supports the display of your cameras EXIF data. This should be recorded with every shot and shows the camera settings used to make the shot.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:47 AM   #3

i meant blurred as in out of focus. i actually think it may because my friends were moving when i took the photo's as there are kind of "trails" coming off them.

i think i just need to buy a book and learn from that, as i'm finding it all very confusing!

thanks for your advice
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:30 AM   #4

tom21,

I'm not familiar with your camera, but as a general rule in low light situations you will need a slow shutter speed, this increases the risk of blurring due to camera movement, the best answer is to use a tripod or rest you camera on a stable surface to minimise movement.

If you can increase your ISO, that will get you a slightly faster speed, also if you have zoom, the less zoom you use the less likely you are to suffer from camera shake.

If you have a camera manual, read it well, it should have some info about this. Hope this is of some help, though practise is the best tool to learning.

Max

Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:19 AM   #5

Its VERY dark at dusk, even if you can see (you see better than a camera). You can
A) Use a flash and live with dark background
B) Use a long shutter and a tripod (your hands will shake and blur the picture, but also the people will probably move and get blurred too) or
C) Set night portrait mode which combines the two, so that the people are exposed with your flash and come out sharp but the shutter stays open for a bit to expose the background.

You pretty much need a tripod for dusk shots unless your just taking snapshots of people with the flash.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote