Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 3, 2003, 4:25 PM   #1

Default Canon PowerShot A70 or Sony DSC-P8?

I'm undecided between these two cameras, which one should I buy? I'm interested in photo quality, battery life and size, but the photo quality is the most important. I also mention that I'm a newbie and have no experience in digital photography.
mrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2003, 1:17 AM   #2

I don't know much about the sony, but I've heard many good things about the a70. It has point and shoot, plus tons of manual features to grow into, it uses cf cards as opposed to memory stick, and it can accept add-on lenses. In the end, however, the decision is yours, I'd suggest going to a local electronics store and trying out both to see which you like better.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 2:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but I'd like to know the picture quality of these cameras, I don't care that much about the looks of the camera.
Old May 4, 2003, 4:30 AM   #4

Well, mrobert, ardvark50 was talking more about features, not looks. Like he said, try going to an electronics store to try both.

It's not easy to test without having your own memory card to take home. You really want to see the image on a PC monitor, and of course, the print (for some).
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 5:41 AM   #5

Yes, that's the problem, I don't have any CF card or memory stick card, so it's a bit difficult for me to compare these two camera's pictures if I go to an electronics store.
Old May 4, 2003, 3:01 PM   #6

Quote:
It's not easy to test without having your own memory card to take home. You really want to see the image on a PC monitor, and of course, the print (for some).
True, but I'm sure if you ask around the canon and sony forums they can send you some unedited photos taken by each camera. Also, many camera stores now have stations where you put in the memory card and can print out a few images, thus allowing you to use the camera store's storage card and print a few samples. Furthermore, most of the major electronics and camera stores have a policy that if after a certain amount of time you aren't happy with the camera, you can return it, so you can pick up the one that you feel you like better and still have the option to exchange it if you are unhappy.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote