Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:38 PM   #1

Okay, I'm getting a new Kodak P850 tomorrow and I was hoping to take some macro shots, but I'm not really sure of the technique... I know most cameras have a setting that makes the center of the picture be in focus more so than the outsides, which is needed for macro... and I'm assuming that I should usually be using maximum zoom (12 times on the P850)... so is there anything else important for macro photography?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:21 PM   #2

You may want to buy a close up lens such as the Canon 250d or 500d , these let the camera focus at telephoto much closer than normalthus givingyou more magnification. Note I am assuming the Kodak can add filters etc ?

The 250dis more powerful but more difficult to use, the more powerful the lens then obviously the closer you can get zoomed in but the closer you have to get to the subject and the smaller the depth of field so the more difficult it is to focus.

In some cases its better to lock focus on a certain point of the flower etc and "rock" back and forth a couple of millimeters to bring what you want into focus. With a really powerful close up lens, for example two 250ds stacked , you could get a houseflies' eyes in focus but the wings would be totally out of focus the dof is so small !

On my camera the Sony H1 at x12 zoom the 500d lets me focus around 15-18 inches away from the subject and the 250d would let me focus at around 9inches.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:32 PM   #3

I'm really not sure if Kodak allows filters or not, I'm kind of a new photographer. But I'd imagine that the 12 times zoom should allow me to take at least sub-par Macro's.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:37 PM   #4

Ah yes, just googled it, you can buya conversion lens adapter for it so you can attach filters , tcons and wcons etc

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the help, I think that after I get used to my camera (and photography in general), I will look into these conversion lenses. Thanks for the help.