Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 4, 2003, 9:14 AM   #1

Default Airshow pictures

Hey all,

As an aviation enthousiastic i would like to take photo's at flying displays. Besides using a webcam i have no experiences with digi cam's. So my question to you is if you could give me advise on what camera would suit me best for taking pictures of fast moving objects which are some 250 to 500 metres away from me. I will surely need a Zoom to get something more then just a dot on the picture. The pictures token with a normal 35mm camera were most of the time too dizzy.

Thanks in advance

Greetingz from Belgium
voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2003, 10:39 AM   #2

Though it's "possible" to get airshow images with a consumer digicam like the Sony DSC-F717, Olympus C2100UZ, Olympus E-100RS, Olympus E10 - Fuji S602Z - it's not easy and you would get MUCH better results with one of the removable lens digital SLR cameras like the Canon EOS-D60, 10D, 1D, 1Ds - Nikon D100, D1, D1X, D1H - Fuji S1, S2 - Kodak DCS-720X, 760, 520, etc.

The professional and prosumer dSLR cameras have the ability to quickly match the lens for the conditions, superior autofocus in most cases, far better signal to noise ratios and cleaner images under difficult shooting conditions, etc.

I've tried it both ways - (I have each of the fixed lens consumer cameras listed above as well as the Canon D30 - 10D and 1D) and found that it's just too difficult to get consistent results with the fixed lens cameras. The Olympus E10 has plenty of autofocus power, but is not amenable to enough telephoto power with zoom capabilities to get consistent framing. The Fuji S602Z and Sony F717, like the E10/E20 just don't have enough telephoto compatibility to have sufficient flexibility. The Olympus E-100RS is the best of the consumer bunch for this, but is resolution limited to 1.5 megapixels. It has sufficient zoom and with a 1.7x teleconverter can handle the telephoto, but the resolution limits its overall usefulness. The Olympus C2100UZ is probably the next best candidate, but like the C2100UZ is hard to find today.

Spend your money for a removable lens dSLR and get a good L lens like the 100-400L IS and you will be much happier in the long run for this type photography.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 11:09 PM   #3

Here is a couple aviation pics taken with the Canon A70. I was pretty close though with these. I just got the Teleconverter lense and will be using it to get some pics next time I go to work. The Teleconverter bring the A70 close to a 10X zoom.

http://www.pbase.com/image/16342961
http://www.pbase.com/image/16342928

It might be a good camera for you to get started with digital until the price of the DSLR's go down a little, If cost is an issue.
PSknr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 11:00 AM   #4

Thanks a lot both,

and idd , i'm not in the idea of spending so much on it.
So the idea of a powershot A70 or a HP equivalent seems more something for my purse ...
and for as far as i see is HP a lot more cheaper then the others.

greetz
Old May 7, 2003, 1:52 PM   #5

Keep in mind that the focal length (equiv!!), f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, ... are pretty much the same for digicams as for chemical cameras. Since you have some experience using chemical cameras to do what you want, that will give you a very good idea of what you need in a digicam. As an example, if you know that you need at least a 500mm lens to do what you want, there is no digicam without interchangable lenses that will do the job. If you can use a 100mm lens to do what you want, many digicams will fit that part of your criteria.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 9:36 PM   #6
SSD

PSknr,
Those telephoto pics were great! I have the A70 and would love to get a telephoto lens for it. What brand do you have and where did you get it?
Thanks!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 9:37 PM   #7
SSD

PSknr,
Those telephoto pics were great! I have the A70 and would love to get a telephoto lens for it. What brand do you have and where did you get it?
Thanks!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 12:17 PM   #8

BillDrew,

Well i kinda have my eyes now on one of the following cam's: Panasonic DMC-FZ1 & Olympus C740.
Advantage for the Pan are the SD card slot and the 12x optical zoom , but i'm a bit worried about the "only" 2 million pixels , wheras the Olympus has 3.
Does it make a big difference if i want to get pictures at a normal size (no A4)?
And do both have a shutter time that's fast enough ?

(The reason , i'm not in for a normal SLR is that i guess the advantage of being able to take as many shots as the expansion card accepts and so the reduction of costs with blooped pictures is really worth it).

I understood from your posts that if i really want the best , i'll have thrown my money like the best too , so i'm kinda in for a solution in between. Thx a'lot
Old May 10, 2003, 9:47 PM   #9

PSknr,

First off, as an aviation fanatic, those pictures are sensational! Now if I may ask a question- you say that the pictures were taken with, for example, f/8.0. Steve's review says that the A70 is only f/2.8-4.8.

Is there a way to change this? Does anyone know if I can do it with my Nikon Coolpix 4500 (F/2.6-5.1)?

Thanks!

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 4:56 AM   #10

My a60 can do f/8.0

It actually ranges from f/2.8-f/8.0
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote