Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:53 PM   #1

Is it possible to video record movies that you have saved on your camera. I have a Canon S2 and I recorded some movies from graduation last week that I would like to show at a grad party this week for people that weren't there but it didn't work. I plugged the cord from the camera to the TV and played the movie and hit record but nothing. Any ideas. Thanks.
brucesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2

I think you have to use the S-video out or the component outputs on your camcorder to the inputs of your VHS tape deck: do not use your camera's DV output as this is digital and your VHS unit is analog. Set the camcorder on play and then set your VHS to record. This then should work.:evil:
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:58 AM   #3

As gritty says it should be possible to connect the camera directly to the VCR then select the AV input on the VCR and record.

It may be possible to record by connecting the camera to the TV but this would depend on how the VCR is connected to the TV. It would need to be connected to the TVs AV sockets for output as well as input and the TV would need to be passing the AV input from the camera to the AV output that the VCR is connected to. The VCR would then need to be set to record from it's AV connection.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:50 AM   #4
E.T

Gritty wrote:
Quote:
I think you have to use the S-video out or the component outputs on your camcorder to the inputs of your VHS tape deck:* do not use your camera's DV output as this is digital and your VHS unit is analog...
Technically correct... but 100% irrelevant.
S2 isn't camcorder.

AV cable of camera propably has RCA connectors for composite video and audio channels.
VCR might not have such inputs so this kind adapter is propably required:
http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/dyndok.p...0&dok=3767.htm

Also remember to select right setting for camera's video output, PAL or NTSC.
When output setting is right and cables are connected right you should actually see same image in TV as in camera's LCD when you have selected right input/channel in VCR.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:15 AM   #5

The camera came with a cable that has one plug that plugs into camera but at other end has white, yellow and red plug. So if I plugged those right into the VIDEOinput on the back of the VCR that should work?
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:20 AM   #6
E.T

Like I guessed, RCA plugs.
Red and white are for audio channels and yellow for composite video.
You can plug those into VCR if there's similarly colour coded counterparts marked as inputs.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:56 PM   #7

Thanks. You guys are terrific! I will try it when I get home tonite.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:14 AM   #8

omg.. it all seems simple enough, but you'll just have to test every possible solution.. there's in's and out's.. drives me nuts:angry: -- but good luck!
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote