Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 5, 2003, 11:08 PM   #1

Default New to digital cams, few questions

Hey everyone. I'm new to the world of digital cameras and will be buying a Canon A70 and a 128MB CF card. I have a few questions.

I will probably be taking my photos to my local photo lab so I can have great "hard" copies of them. Do I just give them my CF card and they'll get the pictures off of it? Could I burn the pics onto a CD and give them that? What resolution should I use to get great prints?

Also, I'm used to the APS 4x7 inch size photos. Will this camera accomodate this size? Will I have to return to the old 35mm 4x6 size pics?

I know this camera is probably a bit overboard for someone like me, but I wanted a good cam that would last a long time.

Could anyone please answer my questions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alex
afterdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2003, 11:30 PM   #2

you're in trouble. Labs are fairly inflexible right now and will be until digital take sover film. it's massively annoying but it's unlikely anyone will print in 4:3 mode that you need for a digicam ........ you have problems.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 11:33 PM   #3

Always shoot at the best quality and print at whatever size you want using those so you get the best possible quality that your camera and photo lab printer can produce.

About the 4:3 mode it depends because some cameras shoot at 3:2 ratio, same as standard 6x4 prints.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 11:48 PM   #4

As to the first part of the question, it depends on what photo developer you use. Some places allow you to print directly from your card while others take cds. I'd suggest a cd because they are cheap and you won't be without a mem card while the photos are being developed.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 7:59 AM   #5

Default Re: New to digital cams, few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark
Do I just give them my CF card and they'll get the pictures off of it? Could I burn the pics onto a CD and give them that? What resolution should I use to get great prints?

Also, I'm used to the APS 4x7 inch size photos. Will this camera accomodate this size? Will I have to return to the old 35mm 4x6 size pics?
Ask the lab you are thinking of doing the printing for you - every one of them is likely to give you slightly different answers. No one else can answer those questions.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote