Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 6, 2003, 5:48 AM   #1

Default Free advice for any beginner looking to buy a digicam.

Hi All fellow beginners.

After months of deliberation, I finally ordered the Canon Ixus 400(s400). I went through all the dilemmas anyone goes through before forking out an amount of cash....and it caused me no end of grief, so here is what I suggest to anyone looking to buy a digital camera

YOU WILL NEVER GET A CAMERA THAT WILL DO EVERYTHING YOU WANT...YOU HAVE TO COMPROMISE

Set a budget.....
See what the best spec you can get for your budget...
See whether the cameras within the budgetr do what you want
Read some reviews if you can....
Go for a well established brand/model within your budget....

Reasons for following the above steps....

You can spend months trying to get the most for your money, but if you are a beginner, the main thing you want is a hassle free good quality camera within your budget.

The best bit about following the above steps is that you won't cause yerself too much pain deliberating over what to buy and also, you've got nothing to compare it against, so as long as you've got a new toy....you'll be happy.

MAIN POINT TO REMEMBER IS THAT......DON'T BE TOO STINGY AND TRUST THE BRAND...COS THEY SPEND MILLIONS OF POUNDS ON RESEARCH ALL FOR YOU...SO JUST TAKE THE PLUNGE BASED ON YOUR INSTINCTS & COMMON SENSE.

disclaimer: The above advice is my opinion only...and if you end up with a duff product its not my fault!!
reggie_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2003, 7:11 AM   #2

Default Re: Free advice for any beginner looking to buy a digicam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie_uk
YOU WILL NEVER GET A CAMERA THAT WILL DO EVERYTHING YOU WANT...YOU HAVE TO COMPROMISE
That is true no matter how much you spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie_uk
Go for a well established brand/model ....
I disagree. The best bargins are to be found in the off-brand cameras. Those are also the ones most likely to lack support, but the amount of support for any camera costing much under $5,000US isn't much in any case.

There is a higher risk with an off-brand. Whether the increased risk is worth the lower price depends on the indivdual. There is no universal answer that applies to all people.

Also some of the established brands (e.g., Lieca & Rolli) have stuck their names on cameras that they have little or nothing to do with manufacturing.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote