Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 4, 2003, 12:38 AM   #21

pjallittle

Does sonyimage allow direct linking? Specifically, can I make a link directly to a picture on their site... allowing me to put pictures directly in my posts in this forum? I have free web space from my net provider, but they forbid direct linking (in fact, it's the first statement in their "things you can't do" list!)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:38 AM   #22

"eric s"pjallittle

Does sonyimage allow direct linking?;

Yes, they do but anyone using it must register. See my link

Specifically, can I make a link directly to a picture on their site... allowing me to put pictures directly in my posts in this forum? I have free web space from my net provider, but they forbid direct linking (in fact, it's the first statement in their "things you can't do" list!)

As you can see from my link, they allow linkage both ways. Within the Sony site, they even have a place for me to link to Club Photo.

I have never heard of an ISP who would not allow you to create links, after all, whenever you put something into your Favorites folder, that is a link. If you place a 'shortcut to desktop' that's also a link.

Who is the provider?
pjallittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:53 AM   #23

Default eric s re linkages

This is a picture from SONY site so if it shows up on your computer, then I guess it works.

This one is from an album cover in my CLUB PHOTO

If these show up on your end, then it works. Let me know
pjallittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:46 AM   #24

pjallittle

Those did appear. Thanks. You realize that just because you *can* do it doesn't mean that they *allow* it.

I get broadband from AT&T (now comcast.) I can make links to my pictures directly from off the site, but they stricly forbit it in their usage contract. They do not want to be an image server, they want to be a web server. Don't know why, but I assume they have their reasons.

I assumed I had to sign up for sonyimage. I was quite annoyed that I couldn't find their usage agreement on their site. My assumption is that I have to sign up for it and then it will appear as part of the process of signing up. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but if that is true it sucks. At least pbase as a simple page describing (in plain english) what you can and can't do. They probably have a legal-eze version you must click through as well, but at least I know where I stand before hand.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 12:50 PM   #25

Quote:
How do you figure this is as 'free as it gets" when they impose a charge of $6.00 US per 50MB
I'm not paying anything, limited space but enough for my needs and totally free.

If I need direct linking, more space and multiple up-loads then I must pay.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:29 PM   #26

Well, after reading this thread I signed up for imagestation.

I know that pjallittle's images are showing up, but you're definitely not allowed to link to the site. I tried by first uploading my avatar onto their site- It first showed up but then another message showed in it's place.

This is directly from their member agreement:

"You may not take the results from your use of the Service and link to them, or mirror pages from the Site on another website, or create links from other websites onto any area of the Site. "

The great thing about imagestation, is that they do not recompress your images and the only limit they state is that each image must be 6mb or under. They do not limit the number of images you can have.
Fotopic does recompress and has 250mb limit, but they do allow direct linking
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:29 AM   #27

I use this one: http://www.picturetrail.com/ysr_racer

Here's my new boat, can you see it?

ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod76
www.Imagestation.com also allows for free pic posting, and its linkable. From what I could find, they only limit the size of the pic or movie you download, no limit on how many.
I believe Imagestation **MAY** contain spyware.

I ran ad-aware this am and it found 14 incidents of spyware - one of which had sony in the name. I then cleared all this spyware, went back on imagestation and ran ad-aware again and once more an occurance of spyware with sony in the name :evil:

stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 1:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcan
I use

http://www.fotopic.net/

250MB of free space. I also have contacted their technical staff on a couple of bugs and they were extremely quick to get back to me.
The only problem that I have found, is that even though I upload my original images, they recompress them (even when viewing at original size) so jpg artifacts are more noticeable when viewed on the site.
Thanks for this one - Have just signed up and uploaded a load of pics and at 1st glance this looks a great site. Also responces from their "techies" looks great too - thanks v much for this one

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote