Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 6, 2003, 9:52 AM   #1

Default Miniature Advice

I have a four year old Kodak camera and have been facinated with some of the new miniature cameras like the Pentax Optio S. I like the small size since I can easily fit it in my pocket when I go skiing or hiking. My concern is that I may be forfeiting features and quality for the size. My other thought is the Kodak LS443. I know it is larger, but the Schneider lens is excellent quality. What are your thoughts on the miniatures?
TTT103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2003, 10:26 AM   #2

There is "some" image quality hit with the tiny lenses, but it's all relative to your expectations. There is the same quality hit when going from a consumer to a digital SLR.

The Optio S is feature rich. You really don't give up anything in the way of features with it. It does superb macros, will focus in total darkness as long as the subject is within flash pulse range and gives you over 100 images per battery charge. Because it's so tiny, you can carry the camera, an extra battery and an extra SD card in your shirt pocket.

The quality issues revolve around some softness in the periphery, especially at the corners. Sometimes it's worse with individual cameras, but here are some representative shots from mine for you to get an idea of the typical image you can expect. The first one of the bird is full resolution, the second two are 800x600. The fish is about 1 inch in length.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 7:16 AM   #3

Thank you so much for the response. I think I'm sold on the Pentax.
TTT103 is offline   Reply With Quote