Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1

Can someone please educate me why memory sticks/cardson eBay are less than HALF the price compared to retailers?? I want to buy a Sony 1GB memory stick duo pro -- ARE there fake memory sticks/cards out there??
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:45 AM   #2

Ihave NOT have any personal experience with eBay purchases, but since no one else has answered/commented ...

1) Memory cards are cheaper online than in a brick&mortar primarily because of lower overhead, I'd imagine. Still, stores like Best Best, Office Max, Office Depot, etc., etc., DO seem to have them on sale quite often.

2) I have read on this or another digicam forum about someone alleging that he discovered his eBay-purchased SanDisk SD card was counterfeit, when he tried to register it. I do NOT know whether the allegation was true, and if so, a 1-in-a-million bogus seller.

This probably didn't help much, but at least you weren't ignored!

DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3

You could luck out and they may be real cards, or they could be fake or used or stolen or old low speed card with a new label.

As wth anything you want unusually low prices you takes your chances.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:21 PM   #4

From another post here recently on this topic, there definitely are fake cards being sold on ebay.
They are probably "rebranded" cards that are slower older models, or used cards being sold as new.

So I would be careful about something that is too cheap.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:02 PM   #5

One other thing about eBay and cheap, possibly rebranded card. The low prices tend to drive ALL the prices down since it's pretty much open bidding. Unless you don't have any specific requirements other than space (don't care about speed, etc), I'd just buy from an online retailer with their own website (Newegg.com is a great place). If you do decide to buy from eBay, pay attention to their feedback ratings, though those can be manipulated somewhat.

For checking out online retailers, use www.resellerratings.com.

What camera are you using? Make sure you fully understand what you need. Many people buy a card that they don't really need, costing them money. For example, my Canon S1 needs higher speed cards in order to capture the best quality video. But my Kodak P850 doesn't need the higher speed cards because the video is a little more compressed. Therefore, I can save money by buying a "slower" card ("slow" being relative, of course).

Good luck!

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:04 PM   #6

Oops, I just noticed that you wanted a Sony Memory Stick Pro. Since Memory Stick is really only used by Sony, the price for those tend to be a little higher. Still, all my previous suggestions should still apply.

(I like Sony's products, but I really dislike their proprietary media...Memory Sticks, Beta, evil root kit copy protection, etc).

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:39 AM   #7

sandisk make them too now - www.emartbuy.co.uk
tom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:01 AM   #8
Administrator

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
Oops, I just noticed that you wanted a Sony Memory Stick Pro. Since Memory Stick is really only used by Sony, the price for those tend to be a little higher. Still, all my previous suggestions should still apply.
Actually, there are some other cameras that use them. For example, the Konica Revio KD-310z, KD-400z, KD-500z, KD-510z; Minolta G400, G500, G600. These have two card slots --- one for Secure Digital and one for Memory Stick.

I've got a Konica KD-510z and keep both media types in it (a Secure Digital Card and aMemory Stick). When one gets full, the camera switches to the other automatically, and you can specify which one it uses first via menus.

Of course, Sony bought some of Konica Minolta's assets and you won't see any more Konica or Minolta branded cameras.

But, there are a lot ofSony cameras around now, since Sony is currently in 2nd place for digital camera marketshare worldwide. That's probably one reason Lexar and Sandisk makeMemory Stick products.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote