Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:03 AM   #1

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Sony DSC-H2 and a Sony VCL-M3358 close up lens. I have been able to haphazardly take a few good shots of flowers and insects but usually only have a handful of clear shots at the end of the day. These last few days I have been trying to go at it handheld only which I know is generally a no-no even when you have image stabilization available to you. I do have a tripod and monopod also available that I plan to start using. I do not have a cable release but might have to resort to a 2 sec timer when the scene / subject permits. My main question is… the lens has a focus range of 9-13 inches. When I am in that range should I continue to use the cameras built in auto focus or just physically move my self in and out of the scene to get focus? I also noticed that I can still use the zoom up to 16X but I still have to stay at the 9-13 inch range. However, at 16X even with IS you are asking for trouble handheld. Anyway, I have been having fun with it and will continue to experiment. If anyone has any tips they could share it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Almost Zero

This is a test shot from my backyard this weekend.

TTYL,

Zero
Almost Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2

I would prefer to see the entire bug. Think Depth of Field. You need a smaller aperture opening. And, perhaps a different angle.
jimwho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:39 PM   #3

Use autofocus on the flower or the petals or whatever you hope an insect will land on.

Switch to manual focus, which will lock you at the focus you where at.

Rock back and forth by a millimeter or so to gain precise focus.

You can then immediately take the pic when needed without having to wait for the camera to autofocus.

Don't use any kind of digital focus, precise/smart or any other kind. Turn it off in the menu so you don't forget.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

At a given shutter speed and focal length I don't see where macro requires a tripod any more than a distance shot. As jimwho? points out you want the smallest aperture for depth of field and that can increase the requirement for a tripod.

You can also improve the DOF some by shooting closer. There is a middle ground where you aren't blocking the light with the lens but you still get close enough to improve the DOF.

Quote:
Don't use any kind of digital focus, precise/smart or any other kind. Turn it off in the menu so you don't forget.
I think you mean digital zoom. "Smart digital zoom" is indeed an oxymoron.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:42 PM   #5

to get decent DOF you need a small aperture ( at least f8 )

with a small aperture you will need a slow shutter speed

ergo: tripod and remote shutter release

the other alternative is to use a telephoto lens mounted on a dSLR;

KM 7D with HS AF 80-200mm f2.8 APO at 200mm ($4000 worth of gear)

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:23 PM   #6

I take your point about the dof howeverthe H series cameras cost a lot less than that and still take excellent insect macros, good enough for most people below pro status ..

Just do a search here or on Dpreview and see for yourself..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote