Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1

i have a vivicam 3785 and it has 4 resolution settings 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 1280x960, and 640x480. i am confused as to which one i should select if i want to takephotos that will be printed at a photo shop as a 4x6 that willhave close to the quality of a 35mm cameraphoto. i have looked on other sites and they all say different settings please help me.
roseofblack25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2

You should always use the highest resolution and then resize afterwards. If you shoot high resolution, you can always shrink the resolution. But if you shoot low resolution, there is no effective way to increase it.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:13 PM   #3

when i put the pictures i take with the highest resolution on my computer they look blurry, but they turn out fine when iput photos on the computer with a 1600x1200 resolutionor the 1280x960 setting.the file sizes are too large to post on here but it seems that the details of the images bleed together on the 2048x1536 setting but are much clearer on the 1600x1200 and 1280x960 settingswill they look different when they are printed? i plan on taking them to a photo place to get them printed out.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:52 AM   #4

I see no reason why your higher resolution images would not be sharper than lower resolution.

Digital zoom deteriorates the image quite a bit. Make sure you aren't comparing higher resolution images using digital zoom to lower resolution images you didn't use it.

With only 2X digital zoom a 3Mp camera uses less than 1Mp of sensor. That would be marginal for a 4 X 6 print. When you go to the 4X digital zoom the camera is capable of you are probably below the resolution of most cellphone cameras. Use the digital zoom judiciously. With no optical zoom on the camera you will be tempted to use digital zoom. Just be aware that the images won't be very good even at the highest resolution.

With a 3Mp camera I wouldn't use less than full resolution.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:50 AM   #5

How are you viewing your images? It's possible the software you are using is doing a poor job of interpolating the image down. Either that, or you're viewing the images at 100%. Typically, if you view an image at 100% you can see all the little flaws in the way the camera captures the image, and also minor flaws in focus and motion blur. However, when you select a lower resolution the camera will downsample the image, which means that while you are losing detail, you are also losing much of the visible traces of the flaws.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:15 PM   #6

i think that may be it. when i open the photos they show up as full screen than you choose which size you want to print them as and they look much clearer when they have been resized. thanks:twisted: