Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 9, 2003, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Recommendations pls....

Hey there,

I'm in the market for a digital camera (of course) and I was wondering if some of you might be able to help me make a decision. I will be using it on a 1 year trip to Central and South America mainly for shots to put on my website as I travel. I am also bringing along my Canon AE1 for more professional shots so I really just want something to play around with. I'd like something that is 2.0 megapixels although this is not necessary. The other feature that would be nice would be the ability to record video with sound, up to 2 or 3 minutes worth at a time. It would be interesting to also have some kind of underwater housing for when I'm scuba diving but that's not important as I understand they can be pricey. Perhaps a disposable underwater camera will suffice. Lastly, the ability for addons like extra lenses would be funky but again, not that important.

I've been looking at both the Canon A60 and A70 but other than that I haven't found a camera with comparable features. Of course price is an issue as well. I'm trying to stay within the $200 to $300 range.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Scott
wanderglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2003, 2:11 AM   #2

From what you described your needs are, it sounds like the canons were designed with you in mind. They do everything that you requested feature wise, and the scuba housing is about 100, i think, so if you get a good deal on the a60, you can get that and the housing for around $300. Thus i wholeheartedly recommend the canon a60 because in all of my time with digicams, i have not found a comparable model that can do everything this camera can.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 5:04 AM   #3
SSD

www.bhphotovideo.com has the housing for the Canon A60/A70 for $199.99.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 1:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking around, checking out different models as well and the A60/70 seem to have what I'm looking for. The underwater housing would be a nice treat though and it can also be used to protect the camera in case I get stuck in rain etc.

Anyway, thanks a lot. I kind of had my mind set on this camera, just wasn't sure. Cheers.

Scott
wanderglobe is offline   Reply With Quote