Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:45 PM   #11

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the delay in replying, v/busy at work,

Thanks for your shot of Elements size box, have cropped, and got the same result, cropped size, Sooo, Think my prob is with the 8450 Printer Properties, have been leaving the "Borderless Auto Fit" check box unchecked, but still seems to print a little big, i.e. prints about 4mm over the tab on Hp 6x4 tabbed paper, you would think a box so named when checked, would print a 6x4, 6x4?

Or am i missing something?

Slipe, you said-
Quote:
1600 X 1200 is a little less than 2Mp. It will give a good 4 X 6 print if you don't find you want to crop the image. But if you get a great shot you want to blow up and put on the wall it will be poor quality. I don't think it is a good idea to do your photography in that resolution when you have a 7Mp camera

Been thinking about that, so if i shot at a larger resolution, on my Canon A620, i would get a better result when downsizing and cropping?

What resolution do do you recomend?

robinhood1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:20 AM   #12

I don't think you would get better 4 x 6 prints at a higher resolution. I think you should be getting about 260 PPI from a 2Mp image and that is plenty. Unless I have plenty of time to frame a shot it always seems that the image looks better cropped some. That would reduce your resolution, but not enough to get a bad print unless you cropped a lot.

I always shoot at the maximum resolution and quality because I never know when I will want to do more than make a 4 X 6. Those pictures are your lifetime memories and you might regret using a lower resolution someday.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:19 PM   #13

Slipe,

Scott Kelby said in his book- "Photo's often look dramatically better-and sharper-when scaled down, if you follow these guidelines" then he describes ElementsFour's Image Size box,typing in a smaller document size, with "Resample Image" checked,

Totally agree with
Quote:
"I always shoot at the maximum resolution and quality because I never know when I will want to do more than make a 4 X 6. Those pictures are your lifetime memories and you might regret using a lower resolution someday"

A guy who has the same problem has contacted me on -

http://www.photoshopforums.com/viewt...?p=30371#30371
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:19 PM   #14

Quote:
"Photo's often look dramatically better-and sharper-when scaled down, if you follow these guidelines" then he describes Elements Four's Image Size box, typing in a smaller document size, with "Resample Image" checked,
It is hard to take something from a book out of context and be sure what the author is getting at. But if he is saying that a print will look better if you resample down to a smaller pixel count before sending it to the printer I disagree. That has not been my experience at all.

In your last post on the thread you linked you said: " Think the aspect ratio of my camera a Canon A620, has something to do with it as well, its 4:3, but the 8450 seems to prefer 3:2," It doesn't matter whether it is a Canon, Epson or HP – if you want to print an undistorted 4 X 6 you have to send it a 3:2 image. If you want the printer to print an 8 X 10 you have to send it a 5:4 image. The native format of the camera is immaterial as long as you crop it to the right proportions. Few standard print formats are the same as digital cameras.

Have you tried printing from Elements without messing with Image Zone? If you are sending it an image that says 4 X 6 inches in the size box I don't see how it would print anything but that size.

I had a HP printer on an XP machine for a short while. If you plug the printer in before loading the HP driver Windows will install a driver. If you subsequently install the HP driver you end up with two printers in your printer folder. The Windows driver for my printer was basic compared to the HP driver. The dialog with File > Print > Properties had only two tabs with the Windows driver and much fewer options. If you are getting only two tabs you either didn't install the HP driver or the Windows driver is the default printer. With the HP driver you should have everything you need to print directly from Elements without going through Image Zone.

Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:04 AM   #15

Slipe hi,

Thanks for your advice about aspect ratio, am abit of a noob still, but understand now, have tried printing from Windows Photo Printing Wizard, which seems to have a better print preview than Image Zone, which I'm not to impressed with overall, but still got same prob, i.e. printed onto tab on HP 6x4 tabbed paper, think the prob is defiantly with the printer software, which is defiantly Hp Driver, Properties box has about five tabs, The last paragraph on the link above states-

"If adjusting the image does not produce an acceptable result, uncheck Borderless Sizes Only and then select the paper size actually being used. It is important to not select a borderless paper size. This will print the image without cropping but adjusted to fit the page."

Which to me seems to say that HP knows they have a prob?

You said-

"If you are sending it an image that says 4 X 6 inches in the size box I don't see how it would print anything but that size."

Believe me it does! I know it sounds stupid, but it really does

A guy on a photoshop forum says he is havig the same prob,

Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:40 PM   #16

I had both a HP 722 and 930. The only problem with size I had was with a file someone sent me to print labels. They weren't aligning perfectly and it turned out I had something checked to fit the image. It seems that check box was on the first page that opened after File > Print and was separate from borderless commands.

Your first post gave dimensions in mm and you are posting your errors in mm. I hope you are working completely in inches with paper sizes in inches.

I have no idea why you are printing from dinky programs when you have Elements 4. I assume it has all the page setup capabilities as Photoshop. But if your size box says the document size is 4 X 6 you just have to hit File > Print and everything else can be set in the printer driver.

You might want to do a print at low resolution on a piece of 8.5 X 11 plain paper and actually measure the 4 X 6 output with nothing selected for borderless or fitting. Print from Elements. Measure the output in inches and fractions.

Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:55 AM   #17

Hi,

Just refered to inches as 6x4 and 7x5 are fairly standard sizes, usually work in metric, The first post was just an example i was using to demonstrate the prob, thought about printing a test 6x4 on A4 to check the size, but you have to be careful which settings you use in the 8450's properties box, its not simple,

Think my next step is a test 6x4 on tabbed paper using the method from Hp help pages,

Will get back