Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:13 PM   #1

Hi, just started printing shots from my Canon A620 on my HP Photosmart 8450, using Elements 4, I reduced the size of a shot down to 83 X 62 mm in Photoshop, but when I printed it out on the 8450 on HP 6 X 4 Tabbed paper, it actually came out as 88 X 65 mm! in previous 6 X 4 prints I thought I had lost a little, can anyone help where I went wrong please??
:?

robinhood1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:58 PM   #2

Not sure if this is your problem, but something I have noticed recently, is that you can resize to whatever size you want....but depending on the program your printing with..... it may resize to "fit to paper". Now I haven't measured a 4x6 sheet, but it make sense, that if you just printed it with xp preview program.... and selected 4x6 with tab, the picture whatever the size will be printed to fit on that tabbed 4x6.... Does that makes sense?

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:59 PM   #3

if I am on the money, I didn't give any suggestions on how to fix it.. one would be to print on an 8x10 and cut it to size or see if using the elements program to print from helps?

Personally I don't print anything with my computer/ printer, so I cannot help too much there..

good luck
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:04 AM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply dashboardgyno,

Sorry my post was a little mis-leading, the shot in question was from a 1.3 megapixel SE camera phone, Photoshop still said it was 83x62mm when re-sized, but it still printed as 88x65mm, it may be some scaling thing with the printer, yes?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5

I don't use elements, so I can't help there, but I do use PS. In PS I size my prints @300dpi to fit the print size I want. So for a 4x6 print, I would need to size to (4x300 =) 1200 x (6x300 =) 1800 pixels.

Or, you can use a program like Qimage, which will do all the resizing for you, just tell it what size you want it.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Hope that helps.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

To get a 4 X 6 print from either your phone camera or your Canon you have to crop the image to the proper proportions. Both cameras produce images in a 4:3 ratio and you want a print in a 3:2 ratio. You basically have to trim a little off the long side.

The easiest way is to use the crop tool in Elements and set it for 4 X 6 inches. There isn't any reason to use metric if you are using paper based on inches.

Select the crop tool and put 6 inches in the width and 4 inches in the height (or the other way round) in the boxes at the top. Elements will constrain your crop to the right proportions. And when you print the image it will be 4 X 6 inches.

If the boxes aren't in inches right click on each size box and choose inches. They will stay that way until you change them.

It is a bad idea IMO to automatically resample an image if the resample isn't necessary. For images from your Canon you definitely want to leave the resolution box blank. That way you lose only the pixels that aren't cropped off and you won't resample the image. For pictures from the cellphone you might get a little better print by putting 300 PPI in the resolution box.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:18 AM   #7

Guy,

Thanks for your help, its very interesting,

I have been using Scott Kelby's book "The Photoshop Elements 4 Book" i resized the shot using Scotts Technique of reducing the image size by turning off resample and typing ina higher resolution to get the smaller size required, Been in touch with HP and asked them about the printer, and they seem to be abit Non-Committal, but i think if the paper size is not set exactly right in the printer properties box, it may scale the print size up or down slightly, They got abit sniffy about me using "a non HP Software (Elements 4)"

I usually take shots on the Canon with the resolution set to 1600x1200 for 6x4 inch prints,

Will try the other techniques suggested, am still a bit of a noob with Digital Cameras and photo printing, am working thru Scott Kelbys book, leaning a little, what do you guys think of the book?

Do you know it?

Would be interested to know your thoughts
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:54 AM   #8

Seriously, give Qimage a try.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

They have a 30 day free trial. Plus, if you buy it, pay one low price and then get FREE upgrades for LIFE.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:07 AM   #9

Quote:
i resized the shot using Scotts Technique of reducing the image size by turning off resample and typing in a higher resolution to get the smaller size required
My guess is that is just an exercise so you understand the relationship of total pixels, document size and resolution. Rube Goldberg wouldn't have come up with such a backassward way to set the print size as a practical approach. If the image is already in the right proportions, uncheck "Resample" and put 4 or 6 inches in one of the document size boxes. Everything else including the resolution will take care of itself.

In your case the image isn't in the right proportions. You have to crop it to the right proportions. You can not get the image to 4 X 6 in the size dialog box by any method until you crop it to the right proportions. If you use the method I described there is nothing else to do in the size dialog box.

1600 X 1200 is a little less than 2Mp. It will give a good 4 X 6 print if you don't find you want to crop the image. But if you get a great shot you want to blow up and put on the wall it will be poor quality. I don't think it is a good idea to do your photography in that resolution when you have a 7Mp camera.

I don't understand the problem you are having with the printer. I had a couple of HP printers and if I sent an image to the printer with a 4 X 6 inch document size the printer gave me a print that size. There is a check box in the printer dialog to size the image to fit the page, but I assume HP would have told you to make sure that was unchecked.

After you crop the image to 6 X 4 with the crop tool the size box should look something like this. If you send that to the printer it should print 6 X 4.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:03 AM   #10

I use JPEGCrops to crop my photos from 4:3 to 3:2 for a 4x6. I do it afterwards since I have to do all my photos which makes it faster. I do not print my own therefore cannot comment on that, also can't get my HP 990cse to print to 4x6 paper.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote