Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:17 PM   #1

Hey all..i am new to this forum..this is my first post..and also i have been very curious on how do i take pics liek this..i have an olympus sp 350...i would like to know how do i take pictures like when it is focused on 1 thing and the background gets more blurred...here is a pic of my glasses so you can see what i am talking about

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...b/P7040097.jpg
sco0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:06 AM   #2

scoOb, you need to minimize depth of field to get that kind of look in a shot. Unfortunately, that ain't easy sometimes with digital compacts. Shooting with a lens wide open (f/2.8 in your case) gives you minimum DOF, but, with this kind of camera, even minimum DOF might be too much for what you want.

You might get good results using mazimum optical zoom. Longer focal lengths give shallower DOF than shorter focal lengths. You might try playing around with manual focus also. Adjust the focus so that your subject just comes into focus and then take the shot.

If various combinations of these methods don't give you what you want, you can always create a background blur in any image editor that has the ability to make selections and that offers a blur filter or tool.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:13 AM   #3

hey thanks..i dont know is that i see almost all the pics like that here....its not easy....sorry i am a complete noob to this and i love photography...i dont even know how to do much with my camera...where can i learn more about it and tips from people?

Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:44 AM   #4

As you can see, there are lots of subjects covered right here in Steve's Forums! So, check them out and ask questions. There is even one thread here dedicated to users of Olympus cameras! There are many recommendations for books and websites for the beginning photo hobbiest.

You might also try dpreview.com. They have so many forum topics that you couldn't read them all if you spent all day at it!

You can get a lot of good information by typing subjects into your favorite search engine, too.

Welcome to the forums, bro'! And remember: There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

Grant
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:44 AM   #5

here is another pics...see how its focused on that one flowe... everything else seems to be like blurred...i wanna know how to master this technique...i just do it by luck i guess...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...b/P7040112.jpg
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:05 AM   #6

ScoOb, as granthagen pointed out, shallow depth of field (DOF) is difficult with compact digital cameras. That's primarily becauseeven though we're used to talking about our lenses in terms of 35mm angle of view equivalents, our actual focal lengths (FL)areMUCH shorter, and havea lot of DOF -- in some cases this is an advantage.

I echo granthagen's suggestion to use the longest FL (telephoto, zoomed in) that allows you to focus on your main subject,then experiment with the distance between your main subject (sharply focused) and the other (blurred) object -- the greater the distance between them, the more likely you'll get the effect you are seeking.

Good luck!
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:51 AM   #7

scoOb, check out this site:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/

Grant
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:14 PM   #8

sp basically on my camera i just wont be able to do it?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:50 PM   #9

scoOb, you've already done it. You posted two pix as evidence. You might never gain the DOF latitude that you could get with, say, a DSLR -- but you can get the effect.

Your camera should record information (EXIF data) along with each picture it takes, telling you all of the camera settings that went into taking the pic. This should be displayed by your editing and/or viewing software. Look at the settings your camera used in the shots that have the kind of DOF effect you want and then set the camera to similar parameters to try and get consistent results. With this kind of feedback on your successful shots, you should start getting the best results that you can manage with your current camera.

Grant
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:20 PM   #10

they sell lenses for my camera..would any of this help?