Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:43 AM   #1

C-8080 red alert light started blinking after taking movie and a coupla stills underwater. Everything jammed. Could not turn on or off. Replaced battery and then it worked again. Camera jammed again underwater after taking a couple of stills. Worked again after I turned it off, then on. But jammed again immediately after taking another still shot - same deal - red light blinking - couldn't turn it off until I got outa the water and got the camera out of the case and removed battery back on dry land. I was diving with a divemaster who had had a C-8080 for a year and had no problems. I was using camera on P setting. I was using the Olympus u/w housing and there was no leak.

I confess I know little of photography or cameras. this has never happened before shooting above water. and has not happened again, above water. My divemaster friend suggested it could be a firmware malfunction and recommended I download and install the firmware again. Is this possible? I have found a firmware update for the C-8080 on Olympus' site, but still unclear if this will help me. Any input on the malfunction described above will be most welcome.

cheers
tubivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:17 AM   #2
E.T

Have you tried camera with other memory card?
Sounds quite similar to what my KM A2 did when "card halved its capacity".
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:40 AM   #3

thanx, I will try your suggestion. I confess I'm using pirate XD cards, altho my CF card is genuine, as far as I am aware.
tubivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:36 AM   #4

Assuming you were using the same memory card above and below water, then it sounds more like a pressure related problem. You didn't state how deep you were. Is there a depth where it does work and then ceases after passing a certain depth?

Perhaps there is something inside the housing that is pressing against the camera. Have you used this housing successfully in the past? I am also assuming it is a rigid housing and not a soft one like the ewa marine housings.

Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote