Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 19, 2003, 9:59 PM   #1

Default Please help, A70 or CoolPix3100

I am trrying to decide between these two cameras. I like the fact that they have CF card, AA batteries, and 3 MP.
I like the movie mode of the A70, but I think that the Coolpix doesn't have sound.
I really like the look and feel of the coolpix.

Am I missing another possible option? I really think I want CF card support and 3MP but the rest is optional.

Please help!
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2003, 8:31 AM   #2
SSD

I have both of these cameras and I must say say are both great cameras. I have grown attached to my 3100 because it is light, small, and easy to take anywhere. The pics are consistently sharp and clear unless I really mess up. This is a point and shoot camera with only a few manual settings such as white balance. It does not focus quickly in low light,so be patient, but most of my low light shots turn out great. I like the fact that it takes AAbatteries and I use Nimh rechargables.

The A70 is full of features anywhere from auto to manual settings. I really like the fact that I can choose the ISO I want to use. The 3100's ISO is automatic. It is bulkier and weighs more than the 3100, but it feels great in my hands. the A70 has a low light assist beam which helps it focus faster in low light. I have found that the color reproduction is is superb with this camera. The pics are of good quality too. Sometimes I get a couple of soft images, but mostly I get good quality pics from the A70.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 9:48 AM   #3

well, u sure got a hard match here....

after a HUGE help from the folks at this very forum, i decided to go for an A70 over a P72 and some other ones... and i'm, one month usage now, completely happy.

soft pics are common, yes, but u must learn how the camera likes to work. after you do, great pictures are the way to go.

but.....

i know this will confuse you, but, before byuing the A70 i went to a camera shop and they had pictures develop at various resolutions from various cameras for customer review... i did check all of them, and most were exactly like my personnal reviews: sony's were always "whiter", pale, and non focused, while canos were more sharp and colorfull... but there was one little set of pictures that were unbelivably good, really great, as sharp as an EOS shot, with great colors! really superb!!!

they were from a cheap plastic camera... a kodad dx 3something.....

the explanation i got from the salesperson was that the kodad was a cheap camera, no zoom, no anything else, BUT, with GREAT lenses...

hope i helped....

marcelo
maafbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 2:15 AM   #4

If you are stuck on the feel of the cp 3100, then go for it. Each of these cameras are very comparable and it is impossible to flat out say which is better. If you read the dcresource.com review of the cp3100, he mentions how he was less impressed with the camera after using the a70, but in some of the threads on this forum, i have heard the exact opposite. The important thing to remember when shopping for cameras is that you, not I nor anyone else on this forum, will be using it and when comparing two comparable cameras from two very respected manufacturers, go with the camera that you like best and feel most comfortable with.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 9:26 PM   #5

Well, Thanks all for the great replies.
Especially helpful was ardvark's pointing me to the dcresource reviews for both cameras, this was helpful because the writer specifically contrasts these two camera a couple times pointing out the various pros-cons.

After much thought and research, I have decided on the A70.

The A70 can take a teleconverter and other lenses, filters, movies with sound, manual features, oh yeah and don't forget that nifty water case!
The coolpix is very cute and easy, and I am sure I would have loved it too, but I am pretty sure the A70 is my baby...

In addition, BestBuy has a deal right now in my area for any Digicam over 279, get a $50 gift card. So hey, that brings it down to $250, a steal. And I can use the gift card for a CF card or whatever I will need, or want down the road.

So thanks to all who were nice enough to help. I REALLY do appreciate it!
Old May 22, 2003, 2:35 AM   #6

Good luck with your new camera. May it bring you years of joy and superb photographs!
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 11:51 PM   #7

Well,
I felt like I should clarify that bestbuy does not have the A70 in stock, nor virtually any other store I checked with.

Really seems like there is a shortage of this camera.

In a flash of brilliance, I thought of Ritz Camera. They had it for 299. coulda been cheaper, but I wanted it now, darn it! So I picked one up and rushed home to play!

First shot was of the cat. She usually tears off in fear when she sees me, but I was able to get a shot of her back while she was eating. Such a good kitty.

So far I am very impressed, and I like that it is very similar to the Canon Rebel G I already own. (to some extent)

I am anxious to take some macro shots of various flowers and such, I have lots to do this weekend!

Already appreciating the manual ISO and movie with sound.

I really think I am falling in love. I may just try to get to third base with it tonight.

ANYHOO, Thanks again.

It really is a challenge to make an informed decision about products you know little about when there is so many to choose from!
Old May 27, 2003, 5:05 PM   #8

I am very happy w/ my a70. I got some great shots while on vacation. Some were not so great, but I was getting used to the camera, and for a beginner I didn't mind. With more practice and as I learn about cameras and features, I'll be a pro!!!!!! Oh and I am not a fan of plastics cases, they seem to scratch easily.
Old May 30, 2003, 12:25 AM   #9

Well, I have been out on a couple field trips with the A70 and so far I am quite pleased with the camera AND the software.

Battery life seems excellent.

Now I am afraid I have printer problems...
I am nursing a Epson 640. Maybe time to upgrade, ,although I have been experimenting with homemade cleaning carts that seem to help....

Also movie mode is very cool. Sometimes you just want to take a clip, and this is a very cool feature. So glad I held out for this one feature.

As for soft images, well, I must say some pics are ultra sharp, others are not, cant explain why. might be me. I am a newbie after all.

The software is nice. I am a very simple sort, I just want to clear out my CF card and burn the pics. Zoombrowser is just great for that.

Anyway, I am happily clicking away, thanks to the fine folks here who helped me decide. You know though, I bet the coolpix 3100 is a great camera too. I think I would have been just as happy with that camera. so if you are shopping, pick the one that appeals to you and be happy!
Old May 31, 2003, 6:36 AM   #10

I am a newbie with exactly the same predicament... It is very hard to decide, Norman your last sentence was actually very helpful.

From what i've read on here, there both good cameras.
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote