Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:06 AM   #1

Hi, i have decided recently to move up from point and click and purchase my first digital SLR. I picked out the Canon 350d due to it's good reviews and it's seemingly ease of use for beginners to digital SLR cameras... However....

I wear glasses and cannot take pictures without them - i find using a view finder uncomfortable and i struggle to see a clear image. When i first changed from 35mm film cameras to digital many years ago, the ability to shoot with the screen was a huge plus for me, meaning i could enjoy the camera much more.

I'm now slightly put off the 350d, due to the screen only being for playback. Can anyone recommend a similar camera where you can shoot using the LCD screen? Or any other tips from people that wear glasses and use cameras like the 350d?

Thanks in advance,

Gareth
Gaz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:30 AM   #2

Pretty much all modern slrs, digital or not, have a diopter built into the view finder. You alter a little dial until the view finder matches your glasses. Try it in the shop.
As to dslrs that use the screen to compose, there is only one but I'm afraid I can't remember the model! Dslrs use an entirely different sensor to point and shoots and their sensors do not produce constantly updated images and so cannot be used for live preview. Plus the mirror gets in the way.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:35 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. That's good news about the diopter, i shall try to get to a shop and feign interest to try the camera out (i'm actually going to buy it online...) IIRC from the review though, i believe the range is -3 to +1, and i think i need +2 which is a shame....

Gareth
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4

What about a Zigview or Zigview R digital angle finder ?

Its adevice that connects to the eyepiece of the camera and displays the output on a 1.9in tft screen.

It is set at an angle though since its designed for overhead/downlow or waist level shooting and its low resolution so you will likely have to use the autofocus as manual will be difficult to judge.

I suppose there might be other devices similar but with an adjustable angle ?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:46 PM   #5

Sintares - thanks for the link, that looks pretty interesting, and i could be tempted by that or something similar.

Is there anyone here who wears glasses and uses a 350d/rebel XT viewfinder? What's it like?

Gareth
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:27 AM   #6

Gaz7 wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a similar camera where you can shoot using the LCD screen?
The Olympus E-330 DSLR offers live preview on the LCD screen.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:33 AM   #7

stowaway7 wrote:
Quote:
Gaz7 wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a similar camera where you can shoot using the LCD screen?
The Olympus E-330 DSLR offers live preview on the LCD screen.
In fact only two cameras in the world currently offer so-called "live view" on the LCD screen: the Oly E-330 mentioned above, and the very new Panasonic L1. The Panasonic is built very well, but the screen is fixed in position, making it useless for street photography or shooting macros in unusual angles. I've used the E-330 for a few hours at a demonstration and it handles very well and takes excellent pictures (I personally own the E-300).

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:39 AM   #8

I wear eyeglasses and have no problems viewing through the view finder on the Olympus E-500.

Jim
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:36 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I think i will take a loot at the Olympus, and i'd also like to try out a 350d viewfinder, just to see how i'd get on with it. It would seem a shame to buy the camera if i didn't end up using it much due to not getting on with the VF.

Gareth