Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:15 PM   #1

I am using a Kodak P850 which is set to full Auto for now. I am experiencing strange colors in my photos. The livng room carpet is brown, not blue and the ceiling is white. The basement room has gray cement, not blue cement, though the walls "are" pinkish. When I take photos of red roses, sometimes it seems that the camera is overwhelmed and the picture comes out overly red. Is the camera goofing up? Or me.... Terry

TerryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 4:13 PM   #2

I would guess you have some scene mode engaged. In the first shot the WB is perfect for the wood walls. And I can't find a setting on my Power Retouche WB that comes anywhere near making that carpet brown without really messing up the walls. It looks like the camera is trying to turn a LA sky blue.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:30 PM   #3

I thought perhaps that the camera was being fooled by the blue bathroom rug or I wasn't AE wasn't working, sometimes in a hurry I will snap a photo even though AE is red.
I didn't take a great deal of time with photo composition. I am in the process of fixing up mom's house and wanted before pictures throughout. So I snapped away from the top down. Later I have be retaking when something is changed, in order to show the siblings. Here is the basement pic as an "after".

Terry

Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:05 PM   #4

Terry, what kind of lighting are you using in the basement? Is it just the camera flash or you supplementing some other kind of lighting with the flash? If you are mixing different kinds of light you are going to have weird colors showing up because no matter what white balance preset the camera uses it will only be balanced for one kind of light.

If your camera lets you set a custom WB, you may find that gives better results.

Don't know what the deal is with the roses, but I've read others complaining of the same effect -- but, don't know whether they were using Kodak cameras. If that sort of thing is a routine problem, you might get better results by going into the cameras menu and lowering the saturation setting.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:17 AM   #5

With both basement pics, I just used the natural light coming from a 1x2 window. The flash went off as well.

If I took a picture in a hurry and the camera had failed to autofocus, can that affect color as well as sharpness of picture?

I know that since I was a kid 50 yrs ago, I've taken many a bad snapshot, but the colors of the "blurry" photos still remained true.

Terry

One last question: I have used photoshop on photos to adjust them. On many of them, a simple "auto enhance" will make the picture pop. The basement picture stays unchanged with all of the Auto buttons. I can adjust it somewhat with the manual settings and histograms, but a bad pic is a bad pic I guess...
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:04 AM   #6

Terry writes: If I took a picture in a hurry and the camera had failed to autofocus, can that affect color as well as sharpness of picture?

No.

Terry continues: One last question: I have used photoshop on photos to adjust them. On many of them, a simple "auto enhance" will make the picture pop. The basement picture stays unchanged with all of the Auto buttons. I can adjust it somewhat with the manual settings and histograms, but a bad pic is a bad pic I guess...

Yeah, I couldn't get anything good out of that one, either. Your second basement pic looks a lot better. If you get anomalous results like that first basement shot, just out of curiousity, you might try the manual WB thing and see whether that does anything.

On the first basement shot, it looks a lot more grainy in places than the paneling pic. If your original shot was way underexposed and you had to use a serious levels boost to lighten it up, that could account for the weird color shifts.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:47 PM   #7

Grant,

I am going to play with the WB and also try a flash/no flash test.

BTW, the second basement shot looks better because its an "after" picture. I painted the room and I hope it looks better.

Terry
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:59 PM   #8
Administrator

TerryV6 wrote:
Quote:
I am using a Kodak P850 which is set to full Auto for now. I am experiencing strange colors in my photos. The livng room carpet is brown, not blue and the ceiling is white. The basement room has gray cement, not blue cement, though the walls "are" pinkish. When I take photos of red roses, sometimes it seems that the camera is overwhelmed and the picture comes out overly red. Is the camera goofing up? Or me.... Terry

Looks like a white balance problem for sure. Remember that the camera's auto white balance needs something white or gray to get a reference point. Here's what I think that room probably looked like - right?

Attached Images

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:20 AM   #9

Yes the carpet is a lot closer. It still is a bit light. After doing a bit more research, I'm finding out more about the subject of WB that you didn't have to think about with a snapshot camera. I took some shots here at home at different manual settings in WB and was amazed at the color changes my floor went through. Also, I was unaware of the exif info everyone is getting from my shots. I will have to check into that too.

Terry

BTW, the carpet is now in the back of my car. I ripped it out last night. I should post a picture of what I found underneath.

Personal info: I lost my mom about a month ago and I am trying to fix up the family homestead to get it ready to sell..
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:49 AM   #10

If you and steve are both seeing his adjusted carpet as brown and his ceiling as white I need a new monitor.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote