Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 22, 2003, 8:08 AM   #1

Default Does more megapixels always equal 'better'?

After about a week of reading up on digital cameras during company time, I was all set to buy the 3MP Casio Exilim EX-Z3 from the tax free shop at the airport prior to departing on a weekend away...

However, I was seduced by the Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom, which was mine for just £70 more and at 5MP I automatically assumed that it was a better proposition.

I know that more megapixels means bigger prints, but is there anything else to it? Any downsides? I only really want the camera for casual snapping; I don't really do that much advanced stuff.

Thanks for any information,

Richard.
churd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 9:13 AM   #2

I have noticed little difference between a Olympus C3000 and Olympus C5050 in regards to picture quality. The C5050 has other goodies that make the camera worth the money, but for the mp increase I would not spend the money. I am not familar with Casio camera you have mentioned but based on 3 to 5 mp camera is not the best reason for making a decision between the cameras you have mentioned.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 1:26 PM   #3

This is my take on it. This is not from experience.

Higher MP camers usually means a newer camera. Cameras are evolving fast enough that a newer camera usually means better noise reduction, faster writing to the media of choice, faster processor (so maybe it does better JPG compress) and other things.

The use of usually is intentional (of coures.) More MP technically means more MP. And nothing else. My statements above are more based around that the camera is "newer" and not because it has more MP. Part X might have been too expensive to put in 2 years ago, so we put in part Y instead. Today it's cheap enough that it's worth putting in, and we'll use its enhanced features as a selling point.

But if someone wanted to, they could make a 5MP camera which is really no better than CoolPix 775. To an educated consumer in a robust camera market, it probably wouldn't sell well.... but technically they could do it.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 2:10 PM   #4

I will concur with Eric that more MP usually mean better equipment enhancements. The newer camera will often have improved features over their older models. The C5050 goodies improvements over the C3000

Faster lens F1.8
moveable lcd panel
photo assist lamp
and other features that only the engineers know about.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 12:29 AM   #5

The only downside is that if you use the highest quality settings on your 5mp camera your files will be bigger and bigger storage cards are needed. My minimum size for a Compact Flash card now is 256mb. I can take 56 pictures with my camera and that card.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 12:59 AM   #6

Only 56 photos on a 256MB card, at what resolution?

Just curious as I get approx 110 photos at 2560x1920 (fine, jpg) on my 256MB CF.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 8:40 AM   #7

At your resolution I get 64 pictures. My camera is an Olympus C-5050z. Interesting.
Old May 24, 2003, 8:46 AM   #8

Not that interesting. I'm shooting on my camera's highest JPEG quality. It makes files of 4 to 7Mb. My camera has HQ, SHQ, TIFF, and RAW. I'm using SHQ.
Old May 24, 2003, 11:19 AM   #9

This number count is interesting. I get 200 picís at 2048x1536 on my 256 CF card with my Fuji S602. This is on the 3 mp fine setting. I use a 256 PNY CF Card.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 4:52 PM   #10

My average photos are at 2560x1920 in fine/jpeg mode is 2.2MB some as high as 3.4MB, some as low as 1.2MB.

Odd how both of our cameras are 5MP yet store photos at different sizes...we must be missing something.

Any ideas anyone? :?
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote