Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1

I had my Canon Rebel XT for almost 6 months now. Going to Asia and back didn't help with dust spots and stuff. So I got a can of "dust remover spray" or compressed air I think, q-tip, rubbing alcohol 70% and lens cleaser. What do I use to clean the inside? And how? Do we need 99% alcohol? Or one of those sensor swab thingy that http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/11151178takes about? Q-tip is good enough?

Thank you.

P.s: what's in this little bottle of lens cleaser anyway???

digichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:45 PM   #2

OK, a few WARNINGS:

1. Do not use compressed air inside your camera - use it on a lens only. Use a blower for inside the camera - compressed air is too powerful.

2. do NOT, EVER use lens solution on your sensor. you should only use a blower, sensor brush or sensor swab - period!!! Try a blower first and see if it works. If it doesn't use a Sensor brush (buy one - it's specifically designed for this purpose - you create an electrostatic charge in it and then use it on the sensor and the dust is attracted to the charge). You shouldn't use just any old brush to try and sweep dust away. Any sensor brush will come with directions - the copperhill brush and swab / solution seem to be the most recommended and it's what I use.

3. Lens solution is only intended for lenses. And, if the lens is coated you want a solution designed for that. If you have a coated lens (and many are nowadays) and try to use a cheap lens solution not designed for it you'll end up with smears and streaks. In general, cleaning a lens should follow the same protocol as sensor: use air first, then brush and finally lens solution.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:47 PM   #3

NO CANNED AIR! The propellant can contaminate your sensor worse that dust. Sensor swabs only. NO Q-TIPS! The cotton fibers can come loose on the sensor; again worse than dust. For air cleaning use only a "blower" bulb, for liquid cleaning use onlysensor swabs and liquids specifically designed for the purpose.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:53 PM   #4

WOW didn't know all that stuff! Thanks.

So no alcohol either I take it? I will save the can air for cleaning my computer... :roll:

Why would they pack a lens cleaning kit with q-tips then? and how do I know what solution is designedfor my lens?
digichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

digichick wrote:
Quote:
Why would they pack a lens cleaning kit with q-tips then? and how do I know what solution is designedfor my lens?
A lens cleaning kit is for cleaning lenses - not sensors.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would use a q-tip - lens paper is typically better because you won't have fibers. Get a lens solution that states it was designed for multi-coated lenses. Copperhill also sells this.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:51 PM   #6

And remember, NEVER use rubbing alcohol on ANY photographic equipment ... RUBBING alcohol contains oils to keep your skin from drying out.

The Eclipse cleaning fluid many use with Pec wipes to clean their camera's sensor is highly filtered and refinedmethanol ("cleaner" than medical methanol which has more particulates in it) and leaves no smudges behind.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:25 PM   #7
rey

I haven't cleaned my sensor yet with solution, but I've bought my supplies already.

http://www.adorama.com/CHPECPP.html
http://www.adorama.com/CPECS.html?se...&item_no=1

I bought them, but the last time I had dust problem, I just used the rocket blower and after several tries (at least 7) the dust went away.

The solution is flammable so can't fly with it, and it's hard to find stores that ship them. I bought mine from a local store, but I think adorama ships them.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:41 PM   #8

you may use a sterile medical gradePOLYESTER swab (q-tip look alike) moistened with 99% methyl alcohol (methanol) VERY CAREFULLY
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:13 AM   #9

I've had my original D-rebel for over 2 years and my 20D for about a year. the only thing I have ever used on either one is a bulb blower like the rocket blower.Mine is made by promaster, but the same thing.Both of these blowers have a little valve that keeps them from sucking dustinside the blower. This is a very important feature because the last thingyou want to do is blow dust back onto your sensor. Make sureyour sensor is facing down when you blow it off, otherwise the dust will just fall back on in a different spot. Your manual will tell you how to lock up the mirror and also makesure your battery is fully charged, you don't want the mirror coming back down when you have the blower stuck in there. It only takes a couple of minutes to blow the dust off. One other thing is when you are changing lenses do it as quickly aspossible,keep the sensor facing down when your change lenses, and try to change them inside out of the wind.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote