Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1

It's been a while since I've flown, and I was wondering if the xray machine at the airport will harm a digital camera and Compact Flash cards? I have a Canon EOS 30D.

Thanks
Gern Blanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:09 PM   #2

No - it will not harm the camera at all I've flown half a dozen times with digital cameras and there is no harm.

But, the larger question looming is - What are the current restrictions, if any, regarding cary-on items in your area. With the whole mess in Britain and the bomb scare I thought carry-ons had been restricted (besides the whole liquid thing). I haven't kept up on it so I don't know what the current restrictions are.

One thing is absolutely certain - NEVER, EVER check your camera. If you look at all the fine print you'll see the airlines are not liable for it's theft. And I can tell you from personal experience theft from checked luggage does occur. I had items (not camera, but jewelry, sunglasses, etc.) stolen from a checked bag a year ago. So, even if you had a sturdy case to keep damage from occuring it's too much of a risk to trust them with a bag containing your camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:16 PM   #3

I checked www.tsa.gov/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm , and it states that cameras are allowed as a carryon personal item. I'm travelling within the US.

A friend of mine is a baggage handler, and he's told me about the abuse that some of his coworkers give to golf clubs, instruments, skis, anything labelled "fragile", etc, so I don't check such things.

Thanks for the info!
Gern Blanston is offline   Reply With Quote